blog Followers

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Revenge of the Easter Egg

It was a brutal competition, with lots of screaming, shoving and pushing. There may have been some scratching and punching as well. There are no memories about who garnered the most eggs; the hunt was not so much about speed—it was about who was most devious. 

Then Easter was gone, baskets were packed away for next year, and deviled eggs were supper. With no holiday to anticipate, a veil of tedium settled over our farm in a pre-summer heat.

In the middle of the night, something woke me, something like a POP!  I rolled over, catching just a hint of chocolate.  Then a new smell came in waves---foul, recognizable, nauseating.

It was the distinctive odor of rotten eggs.  Rolling out of bed and looking under it, I spotted a lone Easter basket with the remains of an exploded egg.  One of my three brothers had placed it there before I went to bed. (My bedroom was that clean...seriously...even under the bed...)


Opened the window…threw the Basket out…and heard the muffled giggles from my brothers’ rooms.  They were waiting for my own explosion. 

Well, they did not get it.  I tiptoed down the stairs and slept on the couch.  The rotten egg smell did not limit itself to my room; it traveled to their room as well.

Justice and revenge would wait for another day.  I was the soul of patience.

Those bastards....


30 comments:

  1. Just wait until the Fourth of July. He'll show them an explosion.
    Never knew rotten eggs exploded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revenge! Ah the beauty of it (at times!) Boys will be boys, but sometimes they get paid in full!
    From NC,
    Sherry and Jack
    "I miss the deviled sandwiches after Easter!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exploding rotten eggs? A new horror me. What rascles your brothers were but they did have to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan:
    --_WOW. Those eggs MUST have been pretty rotten to blow up the way they did.
    (I think I'll pass on performing a "test")
    And yes, the smell alone has this nasty habit of getting everywhere.
    Guess the only smell worse would be SKUNK...lol.
    (not gonna test that one either)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I bet that was stinky. I have 3 older brothers, an older sister and a younger brother. I told my daughter she should be happy that she's an only child. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to reading your Epilogue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Props to you for not exploding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brothers would have LOVED that. I am v glad the idea never occurred to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have enough explosions reminiscent of rotten eggs around here, thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice when the prank backfires.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last laugh is the best, and i'll get you got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that should read, i'll 'bet' you got it.

      Delete
  12. My older sister had her own deviousness, every Easter for a few years until she got caught, she'd get up before everyone else and find every single egg mum had hidden the night before. Each year she was upset at having to share her chocolate loot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that's funny! I agree with Liz -- when a prank backfires it's all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's always something to learn from the blogs. I had never heard, smelled, or otherwise known about rotten egg explosions. Good for you to patiently wait for your revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am laughing. Revenge is sweet. I found this post so funny and loved every word.

    Also stopped by to tell you in case you haven’t heard or read, I’ve now regained control of my original blog and have even posted on it.

    https://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. BTW, may I add your blog to my left sidebar? I'll only do so with your permission.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a belly laugh this tale gave me! Boys will be boys!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, as soon as you gave me permission to add your blog, I did. It's been on my blog for at least two days. Right now, if you don't post anything before you read this, it is on the same "line" as and to the left of the Brisbane clock.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOPS, I didn't take into account that someone might add a new blog post. DUH!! At least you know approximately where to look.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you'll share the revenge story at some point!

    ReplyDelete

  21. To all: my three brothers teased me mercilessly. I have other stories of revenge.

    Revenge is best served up cold.

    to Bluebeard: Look forward to reading your sidebar.



    ReplyDelete
  22. I’m impressed that you kept your bedroom so clean as a child! Glad you got out of your stinky room and left your brothers suffering as the aroma drifted to their bedrooms. What a fun literal blast from the past!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now what are brothers for if not to tease and taunt their sisters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes they made life miserable, and as we aged, they cleaned up nicely.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!