![]() |
| Oh yeah? I'll give you a password. |
Password—a cursed word. Beside the dreaded blue screen, signing on with your password ranks pretty high up there.
Today was a “sign on to Microsoft” day. Since I have not put these on a flash drive, but have diligently kept them in an address book, typing in passwords are not usually a problem.
Encountered a red error note telling me that this was the wrong password, needed to reset. MSoft sent me a code by email, a line of seven numbers. I copied and pasted them into the password box, pushed enter. THEN I was told THIS was an ERROR!
Got another seven numbers, pasted them in, moved onto the next step to create a new password: bunny1foo9foo.
MSoft wanted me to type my old password.
???What??? If I knew the damn password, I would not be resetting a new one. Why? MSoft asked. Because I had forgotten the old password, you blinking idiot.
Back to getting code. Back to pasting the code. Back to making a new password, a deceased relative’s name. Back to saving. Then, then, trying to get into my account.
MSoft didn’t ACCEPT this new password. Suggested a code. Wanted to send me a new code. I pushed cancel.
Either MSoft is playing me or God is having a bit of a giggle.
Why? Why does this happen? It happens to everyone, I know, because my daughter told me so. I am pretty evenly tempered personality, but this? This?
PS: just spent 1/2 sticking hour trying to change a password. Then another 1/2 hour going back and forth until resolution was achieved. As much as I enjoy having my computer, smoke signals might be better.
PS: just spent 1/2 sticking hour trying to change a password. Then another 1/2 hour going back and forth until resolution was achieved. As much as I enjoy having my computer, smoke signals might be better.

Susan:
ReplyDelete---I honestly feel your pain. It's something we ALL have to endure (and should not have to, imho).
I don't have that many accounts, so my number of passwords is wonderfully limited.
But you have to be careful with UPPER or lower case letters in some instances.
It always reminds me of a quote from Star Trek III:
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
(Montgomery Scott)
There lies our problem - too much tech, coming at us too fast and all at once very day.
BTW, I'm sure there are those who would cause a ruckus if SMOKE SIGNALS were used. We have to have such perfectly CLEAN air, you know...lol.
Take care out there.
Excellent quote from Montgomery Scott, and so very true.
DeleteYeah, the smoke signals would not go down well here is California.
Sometimes it is a royal pain in the you-know-what. I worry one day I'll forget the passcode to my iPhone and end up locked out forever.
ReplyDeleteThere is absolutely no winning when it comes to tech battles.
DeleteOkay I am lauighing because Yousaid it much better than I thought it. Yeah the two things you said ring a BIG bell. Copy and paste 'Their code' and it is WRONG!
ReplyDeleteAnd you said it exactly as I thought it, with the 'bad words!' as I read 'Enter your OLD password!' WHAT????
I love it, thanks for expressing in words what I wanted to say yesterday!!
From here, have a good day (but enter a password!)
Sherry & jack
Dammit. I was on a visit to my daughter in Switzerland, and had to invent a new password, on the run.
DeleteI thought that sort of thing only happened at my former workplace! Personally, I'm all about cyber security, but would be sorely tempted to take a mallet to the *(#$!.
ReplyDeleteI have been known to scream and swear.
DeleteI can fully relate to this. I have had this experience; after a struggle I managed to resolve it to my satisfaction.
ReplyDeleteTechnology has its advantages but not without some cost!
So true. In one way or another, tech has us in its grip.
DeleteI like your use of the word Msoft:)
ReplyDeleteIt seemed appropriate.
DeleteI have done this so many times. I love my computer but there has to be a better way!
ReplyDeleteProbably there will be another way, but I don't expect it to be much easier.
DeleteHiss and spit.
ReplyDeleteIndeed.
DeleteGrrr, been there and hated that.
ReplyDeleteMy level of frustration never fails.
DeleteYup, been there. We all have those stories. Too many.
ReplyDeleteWay too many.
DeleteI had this happen when I tried to sign into my online pharmacy to get refills. I had to call them and get a new code and have them reset it. I was told that the most common problem is that when we copy and paste is we leave a space either at the beginning or end of the code and that shouldn't be there.
ReplyDeleteI have this image of computer nerds in a huge nerd computer room laughing hysterically.
DeleteAnd they wonder why some people use the same password for everything. No, i don't, but i understand why some choose to.
ReplyDeleteI know some very intelligent people who use the same password for every thing. They shrug their shoulders and say "oh well".
DeleteFirst thought: A virgin??? Geez, do I have to come at the kids with a needle?
ReplyDeleteSecond thought: You have to be careful of what they are asking you. Plus, you have to be careful of what you type. I don't know how many times I've cursed the computer b/c I was leaving one digit out, or had the wrong year in the expiration, or etc.
Third thought. And lately I've had to change at least two passwords b/c my vaunted memory is failing me. Getting old bites.
I keep an address book with passwords, but because Msoft or Google messing with me, there are constant crossing outs, scribbles.
DeleteYep. Been there. Stupid thing has even locked me out before because I forgot the password and I had the right password.
ReplyDeleteAny more, I wonder if there are evil things going on.
DeleteI think the requirements for passwords is a bit ridiculous given how smart the hackers are. All that faffing around choosing capitals and numbers, odd signs that you have no hope of remembering so you write them down, or tick the box that says "remember this password?" so you never have to enter it again.
ReplyDeleteYes, there is that box, yet still they hate me.
DeleteSPRINT gives me the most headaches. I don't think I've ever logged in to my account without having to reset the password. And yes, I always had it written down. The bank and the credit card company always know what phone number I'm calling from. Surely SPRINT can recognize that I am trying to log in from my home computer...
ReplyDeleteSprint, hmmm. I have never used it, and will not.
DeleteThis is NOT funny. It happened to me and I was locked out of my blog for FIVE days. It was pure he##. And I don't even have a single iota of Micro$oft on my computer. Just the dreaded Google, which I would ban from my computer if it weren't for my blog.
ReplyDeleteGoogle has a strong grip on us all.
DeleteThe problem with the computer remembering all your passwords is that you don't have to, until you do, and then you can't remember them.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think.
DeleteTo all who have understood my pain,:,will it ever change? Heck no
ReplyDeleteSorry, Susan. I botched this twice so I'm trying again. Third time's the charm...right?
ReplyDeleteI can SO relate to this! Says I who decided to give up social media, but I'm back for a while at least to reconnect with some "old" blogger friends. I was cruising and found you again. You've changed your picture but I haven't changed mine. I've just changed (ha ha). And I agree: the sometimes misery of technology (for us) WILL never change.
It is so good to see your name! Misery of technology: good phrase.
DeleteI use bandaids frequently.
ReplyDelete