blog Followers

Thursday, September 10, 2026

An Almost Word...

                                                                        
                                                           


Buzzing, flitting--
Out of reach.
Evading defiantly:
A drunken gnat of memory.

Tantalizing with maybe,
Could be, almost…

Sleep descends,
Eyes heavy in a curtain of dark.
Hidden letters a-b-c stretch out,
Swatting the inebriated midge.

The almost-name, almost-word
Rises from the hazy smoke
Of buried, cluttered

Memory

I wrote this in 2013, back before the senior citizen years began.

This means so much to me now that I have reached this age and my brain taunts me all the time. Damn it. 


5 comments:

  1. I usually "retrieve" a word by deliberately doing something else while the subconscious sorts itself. So far that still works though sometimes the word comes the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My missing words appear like that, but always at a time when I can grab them. Nice to hear you have that word hunt happen also.

      Delete

  2. "A drunken gnat of memory", yes! Annoying, but how I can relate!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!