blog Followers

Saturday, August 8, 2026

Kindness is needed

Random Acts of Kindness Blog Fest
 
Standing in a long queue at the pharmacy is always stressful.  It often seemed to Nancy as she needed medication for shingles and was at the end of an emotional tether, all the people ahead of her needed so much. 

Some needed translations into Spanish.  Some needed calls made to their doctors.  Some elderly people needed a multitude of help.

Queue Line: An abstract picture of people standing in a queue line
Source: COBRA Soft

Nancy needed to return home; shingles was eating up any energy she had.  But she would not give up her spot in the line, since she was the next person up, after a frail old woman finished talking with the pharmacy technician.  Nancy gritted her teeth, and then overheard the old woman speaking.

“That much?  It costs that much?”  She opened her wallet.  “I don’t have enough…I guess I will have to wait until next week to pick this prescription up…”

purse: little blue purse
Source: bies

The technician explained to her that the doctor said she needed to start taking this prescription today.  The woman stepped away and said she would have to think about what she could give up today, so she could buy the medicine.

Nancy took her place in front of the technician.  Impulsively, Nancy leaned in and whispered, “How much does that woman need to pay for that prescription?”

The technician hesitated, but leaned forward and whispered, “About fifteen dollars.” 

Nancy checked her purse.  She had a five, three ones, and one twenty dollar bill.  She pulled out the twenty.  “Here…I’ll pay for her prescription, but you can’t tell her who gave the money.”

Surprised, the technician took the money.  As Nancy left the counter and walked through the store, she heard the elderly woman called over the speaker.  Then she heard the woman exclaim.  Relief was in her voice.

Nancy smiled.  She needed to hear that.

This is a true story.  I was there.  With my shingles.
 

29 comments:

  1. You are awesome! What a wonderful thing to do. Only fifteen bucks? That's sad she had to think about it. Fifteen is nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When an old person has needs like this, people should step up to do what they can.

      Delete
  2. This has to be the feel-good story of the year, Susan! You certainly were an angel to that elderly woman in her time of need. What a blessing you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to be a blessing to someone's life is what God wants for us to do.

      Delete
  3. I agree, you are indeed an angel.
    One of my friend's sisters is a pharmacist ... formerly at a well-known drug store. You wouldn't believe the stories; how truly mean customers can be, say if their insurance doesn't cover something, etc. They take it out on the pharmacists and clerk(s), like their pain gives them license to be ugly.
    Thankfully, A. now works in the private sector at a hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reason to be ugly to another person, I think something is missing in the way they were raised.

      Delete
  4. It feels so good to be able to do something nice for someone. It helps them and makes them smile. You smile and your innards are happy and healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can take so little to make a difference in someone's life. It was a happy event.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for doing that. I have read horror stories about the cost of medications in your country and blame it all on the greedy insurance companies holding the people to ransom, and the terrible healthcare system the US has. Elederly people really have it tough there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been rough. We have supplements ins. for our Medicare. It is a good thing too. We would be counting pennies.

      Delete
  6. LOVE this!!! And YES kindness is needed, also thanks for the picture of the older change purse, my granny had one sorta like that.
    Love from out this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done this a few times. Kindness is its own reward. Thank goodness prescription drugs are free here for seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love love love this true story. people still do kind things. I try to do them myself too. I was on the receiving end of kind things many times and still do, like the new coffee pot. glad you posted this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was time to remind myself to continue to do things like this.

      Delete
  9. How wonderful. I hope the good deed made. your shingles feel a tad bit better! You made that woman's life better, in so many ways! I hope you are over the shingles....or at least healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in 2008, and it was horrible. But, at least, that woman learned that someone cared for her.

      Delete
  10. Some people really have it rough. Sorry about the shingles. That sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. left quadrant of head, even in my eye. so much pain.

      Delete
  11. Praying for you Susan.

    God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. https://www.facebook.com/michaeljfoxfoundation/videos/breathing-through-mindfulness-as-a-parkinsons-treatment-tool/1070250781444638/

    https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/

    https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/support/managing-parkinsons/mindfulness

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear Susan i am sharing these link and i hope i am not bothering you my friend ,these are sites and i am sure many more where people learn how to tackle with this problem through different ways of meditation . i have faith in it because around 20 years ago during some family issue with my mother in law i have got my left arm get shaken suddenly . It felt fine after some time but it would appear whenever i get stress knowingly or unknowingly . yes sometimes life is almost fine and everything going smooth still we feel stressed inside and most of the time we are not aware of it . it keep weaken us quietly from within . back then when i had no internet or any deep knowledge only God helped me by giving me wisdom of doing yoga moves regularly . after some years my parents died and i was badly down i satrted meditation and it just transformed my whole world first from within and then from outside by the grace of God ! so please my very sweet and wonderfully talented friend you to o can try it ,i bet if not gone completely but with time it will bring obvious difference .thinking of you with love and prayers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I will check out these sites. God has worked in my life as well. Shingles was an awful experience and anyone who has had chicken pox can have it. My mom had it twice, why I don't know. Now I wrestle with a monster that will ultimately take my life: Parkinson's. God is with me now and strengths me.

      Delete
  14. So sorry for you and shingles. Sending healing energy and I hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness,. I am well now. Shingles is a terrible thing to experience. Now every adult who has had chicken pox should get vaccinated.

      Delete
  15. precious friend Susan ,i returned to read post today as i did not have time in previous visit .and just just made me burst into tears !!!!!!!
    i have seen so much and now when i read or hear how good people spread goodness and share their light makes me cry joyfully 🥹🙏
    knowing that makes me utterly grateful that such rays are spread here and there to enlighten others world with their kindness .so what if we encounter them rarely ,we can still hear and read about them .and this is such a blessing and relief for my soul in this world 🥹🙏❤️
    God yes He is truest friend ,ever present within and around ,never leaving us alone .all we need is to remember him and he will🥹❤️🫂 respond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gratitude can be the result of kindness given. I didn't need to know her joy, because I felt it in myself.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!