blog Followers

Monday, May 12, 2025

NFL near sighted

Student Money College Clip Art - College Money Clipart Transparent, HD Png Download ... 

Money for college? 

Getting a summer job between school years was life blood of the next school year: No job, no money, no school. 

No photo description available.
One job I held for two summers in a row was working as an intern for Farmers Home Administration. The first day was a normal, meet and greet thing, until the assistant administrator came from his office. The man filled up the door frame, hair just brushing the head jam, shoulders brushing the side frames.

Bob Robertson is a big man in his leadership and sense of community, retired pro-football player, a hometown farm boy, and he is a giant. Bob sent this article to others like me, and I am posting it here:

 

John 3:16


Some Folks Have Come to Despise the NFL...

For fans who follow the sport, most of this will be a simple reminder of things you already know. For the rest, it's a wake-up call:

In 2012 the NFL had an issue with Tim Tebow kneeling before each game to pray, they also had an issue with Tebow wearing John 3:16 as part of his eye-black to avoid glare, and made him take it off.

In 2013 the NFL fined Brandon Marshall for wearing green cleats to raise awareness for people with mental health disorders.

In 2014 Robert Griffin III (RG3) entered a post-game press conference wearing a shirt that said "Know Jesus Know Peace" but was forced to turn it inside out by an NFL uniform inspector before speaking at the podium.

In 2015 DeAngelo Williams was fined for wearing "Find the Cure "eye black for breast cancer awareness.
  
In 2015 William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for domestic violence. (Not that the NFL has a domestic violence problem..).

In 2016 the NFL prevented the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet in honor of 5 Dallas Police officers killed in the line of duty.

In 2016 the NFL threatened to fine players who wanted to wear cleats to commemorate the 15th anniversary of 9/11.

So tell me again how the NFL supports free speech and expression. It seems quite clear based on these facts that the NFL has taken a position against any action by NFL players demonstrating RESPECT for any issue:

God, social causes such as mental health, cancer, domestic violence, for cops killed arbitrarily, for being cops, or for the Memory of 9/11...
BUT they will allow demonstrations of DISRESPECT for our National Flag, our National Anthem, for America, and for the American People, if it will help mollify a particular Group and its supporters. 

That is who and what the NFL now has shown itself to be.

It takes big men who stand up for their country, and bow in prayer to God. Bob Robertson is one of those big men with a big heart for his beliefs.
 

When I think about NFL, I think about the best commercials ever.  I love Peyton Manning. There are some players who hold themselves to a higher standard. The teams and players from the post above are those people.



  

16 comments:

  1. So tree. It gets to be a left hand knowing what the right hand is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I lost respect for many pro sports years ago. But Peyton Manning - that's one video that should have gone viral. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has done so many good caring things for those in need. No paparazzi or publicity...Peyton Manning goes to comfort children in hospitals, show up at a lunch room to sit by the loneliness boy in the cafeteria, and much more.

      Delete
  3. Those protesting kneelers lost me as a spectator. Most sports did at that point, allowing ugliness to shine while denying people like you listed above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those players nearly killed football for many players. Their dedication to the sport and to their nation was stellar.

      Delete
  4. Sigh. It is a world wide problem. I have less than no problem in making time for people to show respect. For a myriad of causes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Respect seems to be a hit or miss reaction.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. standing next to Bob made me feel so tiny.

      Delete
    2. He truly is. I feel so tiny next to him.

      Delete
  6. The things the NFL decided were 'right' to do are the reasons neither my husband nor I follow any professional team. Disgraceful and disgusting. Sports is not about alienating people, but bringing them together to cheer and simply have fun. And I love that Tim Tebow has never been shy about sharing his Christian faith. Thanks for this reflection today, Susan. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! so true. Sports became a business. Many players are Christians when they witness to reporters.

      Delete
  7. I fully agree with last coders Susan
    I think you have raised a very important issue here and authorities should take such thing seriously

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the NFL is afraid of alienating groups who find such beliefs offensive.

      Delete
  8. I lost all desire to follow sports in the last few years and it's not coming back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same. I watch the Super Bowl to watch the commercials, which are always darn clever.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!