blog Followers

Saturday, May 17, 2025

If you're from the South

 

plate of fried green tomatoes
Fried green tomatoes food from the South
 
If you are from the South, or live near the South, or emigrated from the South, or wish you lived in the South, then this word will have you nodding,"Yes.  Yes, of course."

                                                                                    

                                                                This is the way I like grits.


I did not enter the delicious world of grits until I was an adult.  My parents knew all about grits, had been eating them for years, but somehow they never put them on the table.

It was shortly after having an abscess in the lower back molar with a major bad root canal, that I discovered grits. After such a massively painful event, the only foods I could eat had the texture of baby food.  Mashed potatoes were acceptable.

That was when my mother fixed me some grits.  She put a sizable glop of real butter on it, poured a bit cream, and a swirl of maple syrup.  Grits, glorious grits!


**Some Southerners may prefer their grits with bacon and eggs, but I like the sweet better.  This is from Bite and Booze, Jay D. Ducote.  

For any readers who have experienced similar dental experiences, I offer my sympathy.  If I were at your house, I would mix up some grits for us both.

Grits can be purchased at any reputable grocery store, next to the oatmeal.  
 
Southern food: Amazing foods

If you live in Louisiana, please go there and write about it.

mint julep cocktail in cup 

Only true Southerners know what this is. 

Mint Juleps 

28 comments:

  1. Alas, not from the South. When we were kids, my brother had a bad accident where he had to have his jaw wired shut, so he could only do soft foods. He got sick of mashed potatoes. If only we had known about grits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up in New Mexico (ca 1952-1968) there were no restaurants or grocery stores offering grits until we'd cross the Mississippi while on vacation. Fortunately, that's no longer a problem, but my poor husband has yet to develop a taste. Bless his heart, after all he's from Chicago. (lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he can't help himself. Probably he likes Nathan's hotdogs and deep dish pizza. Grits are a life long enjoyment.

      Delete
  3. I lived in the South (Florida, Texas, Arkansas) for several years back in my younger days. I love grits, simply served with some butter. I mean real cooked grits, not instant! When I'm in a Southern motel and see a package of instant grits in the breakfast room, my heart sinks. Heresy! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Prepackaged grits are boring and just plain wrong.

      Delete
  4. Not a food I know though I have often read about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in the South and very sorry, I do not like grits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you live in the South? do you like okra?

      Delete
  6. I have heard of grits but don't want to try them. When I've had "heavy" dental work I eat soups mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do soup as well after a dental adventure.

      Delete
  7. I never had a grit. It's not a thing around here. I don't know if I would like the sweet or the savory, or even like them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you would like the sweet, just guessing.

      Delete
  8. born in the south, Savannah and Kentucky, and now Florida so never lived anywhere but the south. As a child there was grits on the breakfast table at least 5 times a week with bacon/eggs or sausage and never eaten with sugar as a cereal. the grits in resturants usually doesn't taste like grits. It has to be cooked a long time and stirred many times . I now eat the instant grits cooked 2 in micro wave but not as good as southern grits. Daddy loved it for dinner, with gravy on it. I do now one egg stirred in a bowl of grits add water and 2 minutes I have grits and egg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only discovered grits as an adult. Good stuff, even without bad teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it with brown sugar and butter. I have been told that the savory is good, too.

      Delete
  10. Never had grits. I’m willing to try them if someone made them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grits, glorious grits!!! I love it when my husband makes his shrimp and grits dish. It is divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't go wrong with grits and shrimp. Best of two worlds.

      Delete
  12. Fried green tomatoes are such a treat. I eat my grits with a dollop of butter and a tiny pinch of salt. You have ignited my hunger and it's only the middle of the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the movie 'fried green tomatoes" is an excellent movie, too. It has been too long since I last ate them.

      Delete
  13. Grits, like rice, potatoes or even bread, are what I call the "carrier grain." It's not socially acceptable to just eat the butter and cheese or cream and maple syrup or whatever, so we have to put it on a carrier.

    Grits are a great carrier for either the sweet or savory side.

    Shrimp and grits, grits and grillades and cheese grits are very common here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Susan sorry that I couldn’t locate grits in Urdu language but from images section I could realise grits is powdery version of any food 😇
    Hope I am right 😅
    Sorry that like my sister in law you too suffered with molar pain.my department was migraine 😔
    Hugs and best wishes with lots of love 🥰♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to try grits. The molar pain was awful, not a bad enough word to describe it. Migraines are part of my existence too.

      Delete
  15. I've always wanted to try Grits. I heard cheesy Grits are really good. That Louisiana dish looks amazing. When my daughter lived in Georgia, there was often peach pie and sweet tea. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!