blog Followers

Thursday, July 18, 2024

Hay hey Haayyyy

 


The above video shows the mowing of the hay which is called "alfalfa, or clover".  It is a prime source of nutrition for cows and horses during winter. The scent of fresh cut alfalfa is delightful.


Here is the difference:
This is hay. Horses and cows love this.  Photo below:
 




Hay is off in the distance. This is straw.  This is great for putting into a stall.  Then it has to be "mucked out".  Messy job. This is what remains after different grains, such as wheat, rye, etc. have been harvested.  Straw---it is unpleasant to walk upon, and is used for animal bedding.  Not for consumption.

 

Round em up: Round straw bales




 

17 comments:

  1. And now we know the difference. Thanks, Susan, and make hay while the sun shines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am smelling it in my imagination right now. It's a delightful (if slightly dusty) smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Straw has not always been for animals. It used to be used as filling in mattresses back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents talked about their straw mattresses, and how wonderful it was when old straw was exchanged for the new fresh straw.

      Delete
  4. I always thought hay and straw were the same. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you see a bale of hay, look it and smell it.

      Delete
  5. One of my go-to sayings I got from the Little House On The Prairie books- "Make hay while the sun shines".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never pictured you reading that series. Good farming sense.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yeah read them all. Never have had a series so draw me in.

      Delete
  6. Sweetie and his brother used to help with the haymaking when they lived in a farming area, as they were strong young teen boys. He remembers them doing thousands of hundred pound bales. It wasn't easy, but the meals the farmers' wives cooked for lunches were stupendous and he remembers them with great fondness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful. They are good memories, My mom was one of those farmer wives who laid out a veritable feast. I was the one who washed the dishes.

      Delete
  7. I remember alfalfa being called Lucerne and it grew in the orchard to about knee height then two of the step siblings would take a scythe each and start cutting it down. I don't remember how it was stored, but it was fed to the pigs, goats and poultry over winter just to supplement their regular feed. Once it was all cut and stored the chooks were allowed into the orchard to clean up leftovers and bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good work. Lucerne? will look it up! I think hay was often stored loose and mounded. One farmer preferred the loose hay. Said that hay being loose stayed fresh longer. Apparently, baled hay allowed the air and moisture to move throughout the hay.

      Delete
  8. Good entry. I remember hay Stacks from my childhood. I even 'humped bails' once in Missouri as a part time job...
    jack.. trying to get back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you know the hard work it takes to bail hay.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!