blog Followers

Monday, March 4, 2024

Garema Place in Canberra

 

From Elephant's Child
 
 
Billy Jim and Esther Sue had saved all their lives for this trip, and by golly, they would see as much of this street art place in Australia as they could.

The bus tour gave them 45 minutes to roam about this park in the middle of Canberra called “Garema” Place.

“Hell, Esther, if I’da wanted to look at weird metal sheep sitting on a bench, I’da made one at home,” Billy Jim stood with his big belly balanced by hands on hips.  “Mighty dumb, if ya ask me.”

‘Glad I didn’t ask.’  Esther Sue mentally responded.  She came to a lonely plaque on the sidewalk.  As she read it silently, a tear slid down her cheek.  ‘Well, at least you rejoiced when it came, Linette Bone.'
 

Billy Jim hollered, “Time to git back on the bus.  Git on over here, woman!”

Esther sighed, looking one last time at the plaque.  ‘Hope you were loved, ….’  Then she joined Billy on the bus.
 
This is a repost from 2011.  Elephant's Child provides so many photos from her marvelous country. Check her out on Sundays. 

How much do some of your favourite public artworks cost? - ABC News
wire sculptures
           
 
   
 
      

16 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this story.
    Blessings, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't make me cry at school...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you found this story about what happened there. I have seen many tourists in this position.

      Delete
  3. How sad. I wish Esther felt loved too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. Needed to view Esther's life through a narrow scope.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I wonder if everyone has an experience with tourists like this married couple.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, for sharing that story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing that this story has many versions.

      Delete
  6. One day, Esther is going to have enough. She'll leave Jimmy and maybe go Waltzing Matilda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows? I like to think she would, but she probably won't.

      Delete
  7. very interesting story of interesting couple :)
    Australia is unique and full of wonders no doubt dear Susan

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!