![]() |
| You absolutely have to check this site. I mean it. |
Well, it is that time of the year: Chatham Jaycees Annual Sweet Corn and Cow Chipping Festival in Illinois.
Small communities like Chatham are gems. Generations gather to renew friendships and celebrate history. While there are competitions of all sorts, nothing, but nothing, is as intense and delightful as the Cow Chipping Contest.
The whole process is fairly simple. From their cow pastures, farmers select dried cow pies of the correct size, using a toilet seat as the measuring standard. The pies are then donated to the Jaycees where they are kept in a secure place. I am not kidding.
(There have been some accusations about sabotage; pies have been embedded with pellets or such in the past. So, security is provided. Yes, it is.)
|
This is a quote from 2019 flyers.
![]() |
| Competition is serious business. |
This is an international sport. Visitors travel to participate in this event.
![]() |
| Pinterest.com |
When I was there a few years ago, the Jaycees had an emergency: the farmer who provided cow pies in the past had sold half his herd. My brother Rev. Don Peck and his son Jeremy (president of the Chatham Jaycees) contacted other locals. They know everyone in the community, and within 15 minutes all was resolved.
Community.
This was published 2019 originally. I just was notified that the Chatham Sweet Corn festival is next week. Can't show off my chipping skills. Oh, I brought home a heavily shellacked patty and put it by the roses. Over the 4 years, it has wasted away.






My brothers liked them a bit 'fresher' than that. The top needed to have a crust, leaving them soft inside. Then they put firecrackers inside, lit the fuse and stepped back.
ReplyDeleteThe firecrackers were any inspired touch.
DeleteJust hope it doesn't rain during the event. Things could get messy.
ReplyDeleteYup. Things would get sloshy.
DeleteWow, I wouldn't mind some sweet corn now either!
ReplyDeleteJust had some last night!
DeleteThere are not enough gloves in the world for me to touch one of those things...
ReplyDeleteWimp? You didn't live on or near a farm.
DeleteNot that I wouldn't participate, but my, er, shot putting days are done. (Done, not Dung.)
ReplyDeleteMy chipping experience was when we visited the field and I gave it all I had.
DeleteYou were holding a nice one. Did you try your hand at throwing or were you just a model? I guess some don't know that once a chip is dry there is little odor. And they have many uses. For instance farmers in earlier times used them to burn in order to have a warm house.
ReplyDeleteMy brother Don drove out to one of the suppliers, who arranged for us to find some patties. I gave it my best shot, but it went about 8 feet.
DeleteBy the way how is the cow? It looked like there might have been some injuries.
ReplyDeleteSusan, are you from the midwest? Cow chipping does look like a lot of messy fun!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Born and raised in Illinois, about 90 miles from Springfield, IL. We ignored the manure out in the pasture.
DeleteThere's also a contest in Wisconsin somewhere. It looks messy but fun, and i can imagine the competition gets pretty intense.
ReplyDeleteFrom the harvesting cow patties to the competition, it does get pretty lively.
DeleteHey Susan. Hope this works. I've got you in my queue to follow. This post is darn nuts. Would I want to fling crap? No thank you. Glad others can make a party out of it. Ha!
ReplyDeleteThis must have been a yearly community event.
DeleteLooks like a fun event.
ReplyDeleteIt is. It is a fundraiser by the community Jaycees. One year they helped a family whose house burned down. The sweet corn is incredible.
DeleteI grew up in Illinois also but in a suburb of Chicago so no cow patties! Living now in a rural community I am surprised we don't have this at the county fair! Maybe I should suggest it to the Mayor! My first reaction to this post was: "Holy Cow!"
ReplyDeleteDo it!! My home is down in Pittsfield, IL. I think the community might come around.
Delete