blog Followers

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Praise be to God! Halloween is over!

  Family dressed up for Halloween trick or treating
 
Halloween is over…Praise be to God.

Starting at 6:00 pm, they came in waves: low tide, heavy surf, high tide

Little princesses, little super heroes with proud parents holding them…Shy, little first-timers are so shy.

Mixed in the low tide were toddlers and pre-school delights, walking uncertainly to the door.  “Tank you…”
 
The golden delights (eight to twelve yr. old) boldly stride to the door.  “Triggertree” they said, with their plastic pumpkins held out.  Parents waiting on the sidewalk talk and look at the watches.  “Thanks…” Parents smile and wave.  Some respond to a sign on the door.

Heavy surf.  

Teenagers charge the door, running from house to house.  Demand Triggertree!”  No parents this time.  Should have been, but no.

Shock hits when they see the bold sign:  No Adults or Teens‘But I’m…I’m…only …ten. Hands, feet, and teeth always tell the truth, and they walk away.

  High tide kids dressed in halloween costumes sitting on the stairs in front of the house trick or treat - teen halloween stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

Huge vans pull up under the street lamps, offloading streams of parents and kids, all ages, people not from this community or even this town.  These  triggertreeders are out trolling for more candy.  Exhausted children are dragged along with these adults who expect to harvest the candy from their kids.

This neighborhood is mostly retirees, their lights were off. The cuteness factor of the low tide is what matters.

Oh-God-Please!-not these!  Time is 8:25, about ten minutes to lights off. We originally put up 8:30, just easing away from the door.

Hoards hit the door, but brake to read the signs: 

Candy is for children only; No Adults and Teens; and, Donate to Wounded Warriors (with a five-gallon water bottle, containing change and dollar bills).

Parents, dressed in tutus and ghostly sheets, are confused, walking away with evil eyes. Small kids step up “Triggertree”, holding out pillowcases, heavy with candy.  Most said Thanks.

Teens announced they are twelve—nice try.  One tall boy looks confused; he doesn't speak English.  ‘Say you’re twelve’ he is told, but he announces ‘diaz’. No.

Only one little boy asked about the signs.  “Candy is for children only…candy costs money…can’t afford it…” he is told.

Finally 8:35 pm arrives.  Signs come down. Lights go off.

The water bottle holds more and more change.  From which wave?  It did not matter.


We collected about $125.


The waves settled into calm water.  Praise be to God.

What do you think?  Check out these sites:

 Are adults too old to go trick or treating alone, without children?

Is there an age at which an adolescent should stop trick or treating?


16 comments:

  1. If teens have gone to the trouble of dressing up, I have no problem with them trick or treating. Adults, no. However, we never have to worry about it as we haven't had anyone come to the door in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know I love Halloween and when we lived in town I enjoyed seeing the kiddos dressed up and I didn't care if teens do trick or treat as long as they behave. I feel like childhood goes way too fast as it is and if they want to dress up and have fun I'm for it. I've never had an adult come alone or even want candy for themselves. We all know they will "check the candy for poison" when they get home! My second and fourth son were very tall for their age and when they were about ten they looked older and did have people tell them they couldn't have candy. Anyway, my youngest grandkiddos are 14 and they plan to go trick or treating. They're girls so they look younger! There's a rule that if the lights are out the household isn't participating. That makes it easy to get out of passing out candy. We live in the country now so nobody comes knocking and I do miss it. I'm probably in the minority about the whole Halloween thing! I do think the idea to donate to a good cause like Wounded Warriors is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some outstanding Halloween memories.!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the read. Yep that used to be us in a housing development. One late teen scared the living daylights out of Sherry. He had a real Axe and looked like he was going to use it. BUT the donation jar is a good idea. Here we will probably not see one young-un this year......
    Sherry & jack We did enjoy the visit,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life was simpler when the joy of being Cinderella was the most important thing ever!

      Delete
  4. Halloween is really not celebrated here (despite the efforts of the stores). For which I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 years ago Ireland did not have triggertrees and I wonder if that has been breached. Ireland honors holy days, so I wonder how that would fit in.

      Delete
  5. I'm in the if-the-teen-hasn't-decided-it's-beneath-them, I'll give them candy. Most have decided that's for babies. And as someone who's seen the kinds of kiddos who are still very child-like as teens (those special ed classes), I wouldn't want to break their hearts by denying them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss the trick-or-treaters. I live in a very small town. The children all go to the next town over for their goodies. I used to dress up to pass out the treats. I miss it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss that time with our children. Those were exciting years!

      Delete
  7. In my childhood, you just KNEW when to stop. There's no honor anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always been a tradition in St. Louis to have the kids tell a joke to get the candy. Even the little ones usually have a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In our area, the Mayor sets the day and time for Trick or Treat. It is the 31st unless we are expecting horrible weather that night, then it will be another date.

    The hours are 6-8pm for children up through age 12. If your porch light is on, it means you have candy. If not, the children and parents know to skip your house.

    We've not had adults with no children coming for candy. Sometimes kids in the 13-15 range still want to come, especially with their younger family members, and i'm glad they are choosing to still be a kid instead of do something else. Childhood ends too fast, i give them candy as well as older teens who were given the job of taking the kids around. They do appreciate it.

    Sometimes whole families dress in matching costumes, but still, the parents don't ask for candy, only the kids do.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!