When Elephant’s Child
wrote about her struggles with purging her bookshelves, overflowing with so many
books, thoughts began as my own book purge began. What
determines a good book from an indifferent book? How do I began?
Perhaps these guidelines will help:
A book is declared good when it moves from being a bathroom reading book
to a book-by-the-recliner, in one flush.
A book from a garage sale box marked 25¢? It may look great, but it has never been read,
with only the first five pages turned.
One will buy it, but it will eventually end up it one’s own 25¢ box.
When the reader
resumes at page 147 and a few hours later, moves the bookmark to page 245: This reader wants to find out what happens next.
When a book
works its way from the “high interest” shelf and works its way down to the
bottom shelf where there is a stack of Kohl’s ads and some two year old
magazines, the book did not pass muster.
And
When the book
one is thinking of buying at the used book store, one notices pages are folded
down in the upper corner many times
by different people. And, also, there
are notes made in margins. A badge of honor marks this book as a winner.
It is hoped that these observations fill your mind.


I used to collect books, now I try to just pass them on. I enjoyed reading your rules of the road (for books). Interesting. YES I have correctly judged that book with the folded corners, and came up with a winner.
ReplyDeleteThis was interesting, THANKS.....
It is good to know that you are one of the used book club.
DeleteI love a good read and have too many books. I take many to the thrift store and hopefully folks will not judge my turned corners on the pages or the few chocolate smears when I read with some tea and a treat!
ReplyDeletePeople who have books are happier.
ReplyDeleteI recently did a bookshelf cull and kept only those I have not yet read and those I have read many times and know I will read again.
ReplyDeleteThe question is that you must read them all before you can get other books. It's a rule.
DeleteI am now classifying a 'good book' as one I will read again. And sadly the shelves need ruthless culling again. I also recently went to a book fair and bought another thirty or so.
ReplyDeleteSue, you have to stop yourself.
DeleteIt kills me to get rid of a book. But... I buy them and never read them. But I have them!
ReplyDeleteIt is an addiction. We have books tumbling in my husband's office.
DeleteI'm contrary by nature, so a book that was not read might by one I'd love. And vice versa. I so need to purge my shelves. One of these days...
ReplyDeleteJust close your eyes and grab a crate. It won't hurt so badly.
DeleteAll books are good books. Some are just better than others.
ReplyDeleteSome books are astounding.
Delete