The Balloon of the Mind
Hands, do what you’re bid,
Bring the balloon of the mind
That bellies and drags
In the wind,
Into its narrow shed.
Wm. B. Yeats
A Drinking Song
Wine comes in at the mouth
And Love comes in at the eyes.
That’s all we shall know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift my glass to my mouth, I look at you and I sigh.
Wm. B. Yeats
Enjoy, and follow the balloons.
This is a post from October 14, 2013. WB Yeats is my favorite poet.


I'm a Yeats fan too! And yes, the balloon of the mind does have a narrow shed indeed.
ReplyDeleteToday my narrow shed is a little dim today.
DeleteI have never read Yeats, I reckon my teachers weren't Irish. Strange I don't remember him. He should have been in my 'interest era' he died 11 days after I was born.
ReplyDeleteBut lemme tell you, balloons can steal my mind anytime I see one soaring. Never been up there, but always wanted to be THAT FREE!
Love it and the poetry.
Sherry & jack smiling in FL
We saw 4 balloons on T-Giving, so beautiful in a blue sky.
DeleteI'm growing old but don't plan on dying. So far so good.
ReplyDeleteSo far so good here as well.
DeleteThere is something exciting and thrilling about seeing a balloon up in the sky.
ReplyDelete
DeleteThere is. In June, Temecula has a massive air balloon event, along with wine.
How very true, especially as I'm about to reach my mid eighties and in these terrible times, hugs...
ReplyDeleteI have a birthday coming up, a new decade.
Delete"Bring the balloon of the mind into its narrow shed"
ReplyDeleteWouldn't that produce (ha) 'narrow-mindedness'?
The mind could go that direction.
DeleteWine comes in at the mouth
ReplyDeleteAnd Love comes in at the eyes.
❤️ this.
That is such a comparison.
DeleteA narrow shed, or through the narrow gate and into the wide world of His love?
ReplyDeletewell said.
DeleteWe have a balloon festival every June and I really enjoy seeing those beauties floating along! It's sort of magical!
ReplyDeleteOur balloon festival is awe inspiring.
DeleteThat is an impressive chalk sketch.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing, beautiful.
DeleteGod, I have had to battle with some stray computer glitch to get this stupid computer to comment on your blog! I was afraid I did something to make you mad- until it spread to not being able to comment on MY blog! Hopefully that's done... now let me "back-issue" you! Sometimes I "Look at my computer and sigh..."
ReplyDelete