![]() |
| Victorville, California |
And then...
We dwelled in Victorville, California, in the Mojave Desert, a hellish wasteland. Surrounded by flat fields of sand, sagebrush, scrubs, and tumbleweeds, our family grew there for seven years. When the temperature plummeted to 94 deg. F/37 C., it felt like we needed jackets.
And then....
We moved to Ireland then where there was rain every day. It was joyous, for the world was green and lush. Sadly, we lived there for only a few years.
And now...
Now we are enjoying a fairly even climate and enjoying the beauty of our area. But, we miss some of the spring, all of the fall, and maybe a nibble of winter from Illinois. Summer in the Midwest is not missed at all.
And then...
My son John married Arlette in Chicago at December 4, 2016, with both families all around. What we also experienced was an unexpected taste of winter.
Just a taste, a beautiful taste was all we needed.
![]() |
| A cemetery was across the street from our really cool hotel. When we arrived , I promised our gr-daughters we would explore it tomorrow. And then... |
The next day we woke up to see snow, it was glorious.
![]() |
| The table on the balcony was pure and smooth. |
![]() |
| Our gr-daughters were thrilled when the snowflakes began to fall. ![]() |
And then the next day, we left the snow behind and flew
to LAX. The diamonds of light lay down below, making Los Angeles
truly resemble where angels might actually have been.
God created snow, rain, desert, etc. He has a plan for us, for what awaits us.
Snow? It is all part of the plan, just like barren wilderness or swamps, it is all part of His plan.
So, I guess we have to go with "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."





Beautiful! A timely reminder of God's plan.
ReplyDeleteWatching the flooding in my home area was a reminder that God has some plan. Can't understand it, can't see it right now, but then we won't know until He reveals it to us.
DeleteVictorville. You are the first person I know who actually admits you lived in that town where if the heat doesn't get you, the gas prices will. What an absolutely beautiful post, but welcome to my world today. The snow is everywhere here. Personally, I don't think I'd miss the seasons.
ReplyDeleteOf course, if I lived in California, their four seasons are a bit different;: mud slides, fires, flooding, and earthquakes.
Oh, you nailed the seasons here. Another thing to add that in the past few years seasons have been: summer, hot summer, really hot summer, and then summer.
DeleteSounds a lot like Australia.
DeleteA taste of snow is ideal! Six months of it, not so much.
ReplyDeleteIn 1959, snow began in first of November, raged on until March or even April. In Iowa in 1973 there was a blasting blizzard on April 5. It shut down the city. 9 mo. later there was a baby boom.
DeleteI am grateful to live in an area which has four seasons (despite loathing summer).
ReplyDeleteWe are heading for a scorcher today (and for the days to come) so your snowy images in this post were bliss. Thank you.
Our paper yesterday showed how the temperatures there are well above normal and will be for through your summer. I remember the wildfires that cut across there last year.
DeleteMay God keep you safe. That brief 2 days of snow was just above enough.
I lived in the Midwest when I was younger and remember snow drifts as high as our roof.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you got quite a treat for the wedding. We don't get snow much here and I miss it.
It was a treat. Chicago is notorious for it's lake snow, with temps well below freezing. I think God gave us just a taste.
DeleteWe woke up to the most beautiful hoar frost a few days ago. The whole world looked like it was coated with powdered sugar.
ReplyDeleteI have seen such only a few times in my life. Breathtaking.
DeleteYou mean to say there's a 'hellish wasteland' besides Phoenix, AZ? :) Your g'daughters look like princesses!
ReplyDeleteThe two of them should FB. Mojave also includes Death Valley.
DeleteThey have always been princesses to us!
I like snow as long as I do not need to travel in it Here on Long Island we get our fair share. We may be getting some snow here in a few hours.
ReplyDeleteLooking at the snow falling is hypnotizing. As long as we don't have to trudge out in it, I am just fine!
DeleteLong Island. Out of curiosity I looked at your weather. Snow should start in about 12 minutes.
I'd hate the very humid heat as much as I do the snow. But each shall pass.
ReplyDeleteDays pass and seasons are supposed to as well.
DeleteThis reminded me of an old Genesis lyric... "Within the valley of shadowless death
ReplyDeleteThey pray for thunderclouds and rain,
But to the multitude who stand in the rain
Heaven is where the sun shines."
One way or the other, people have been like that since time began. Farmers are like that.
DeleteSnow is wonderful to places that get it once or twice in a generation.
ReplyDeleteI don't think we'd know what to do with snow. It would freak us out. We complain at weather like today's, calling it frigid cold.
ReplyDeleteWe are such wimps.
DeleteHad to laugh at the temperature plummeting to 94F/37C making you wish for jackets. Of course after the heat you'd experienced, that would seem cold, just like our milder, no snow, winters seem cold to us after our summers. Nice that you've experienced different climates though, I'd love to feel the Ireland rain but briefly, just as I'd like to feel the first few snowflakes, also briefly. I know I couldn't take that kind of cold, no matter how pretty the snowscapes are. Let it Snow is one of my favourite songs and I agree with my daughter that it isn't just for Christmas. It can be sung anytime there is snow.
ReplyDeleteYou live in a reverse climate, so right now you are having some heck of a winter.
DeleteSnow in just a taste is my speed. Being a tender swamp creature, we can't tolerate too much of the cold.
ReplyDeleteA taste of many things in this world is just enough. Snow is big on that list.
DeleteI love the descriptions. We have been in and enjoyed a lot of the world but have missed Ireland. I really hope to 'fix' that in the next 2-3 years. We would love to take the entire family over.
ReplyDeleteWe have driven from SanDieago to Nova Scotia, from Kew West to Alaska and have seen beauty in it all. Love this creation call the the world.
I did enjoy the read and visit.
Sherry & jack
Sounds like you have been on many adventures (which doesn't surprise me at all!) Go to Ireland, sooner than later!
DeleteOh my word! From the desert to Ireland! Now that's a leap!
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the snow It's a Canadian thing...
My dad always said, concerning the weather:
It's ain't no use to grumble and complain,
It's every bit as easy to rejoice,
When God sorts out the weather and sends rain (snow, sleet, hail...)
Rain's my choice!
Rain gets my bet as well. Not too much of it becomes a flood, as it was in Illinois.
DeleteLiving in the desert makes one appreciate rain.
I could always move. But I stay in Michigan. So I have only so much latitude to complain about the snow. But fortunately, it's a tad late this year and that's fine with me. I'll take Green Christmas -- we'll get White January soon enough!
ReplyDeleteWe kids always hoped for snow at Christmas, as if that would make Christmas any more special!
ReplyDeleteHi Susan - I'm glad to say it's 'Let It Rain Here' and is not snowing as we've had masses of rain and are sitting in flooded lands ... it's not going to be easy travelling for many ... but perhaps better than buckets of the white stuff ... though it is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYour granddaughters look just lovely and it was obviously a fabulous time for one and all - cheers and have a happy Christmas and successful 2020 - Hilary
May you have a blessed and warm Christmas with you and your family! Too much rain or not enough rain was what farmers were always saying in my youth.
ReplyDeletelovely memories dear Susan :)
ReplyDeletehow amazing that you were able to taste various aspects of seasons by moving in different areas
oh for us here who live in hotter part of land snow has mysterious attraction indeed such a magical event that leaves me stunned :)
blessings and enjoy the snow
and your granddaughters look divine
ReplyDeletephotos is taken so beautifully as looks like beautiful painting :)