![]() |
| standard large California suburb |
In our California communities, houses are built in sub-divisions with the same usual three house designs. Our own house had the same design as one just two houses down the street.
Residents were permitted to choose new house colors from a list of three. Each were desert colors of tan, desert rose (another tan), and brick tan. Color choices had to be approved by the Homeowners Association. Every exterior change had to be approved.
Anyone with an imagination might struggle with blandness. People may even find themselves numb by repetitive sameness.
Even so, here there are the same restrictions on color and exterior structure changes must also be approved. Such is life.
This urged me to go awandering and looking at unique houses, ones that inspire.
![]() |
| Fallingwater house by Frank Lloyd Wright |
![]() |
| Famous unusual homes |
![]() |
| underground house |
![]() |
| Classic design Frank Lloyd Wright
Question: Could I live in either of these? You betcha. Could you live in either?
|





Unfortunately, I know what you mean about restrictions, Susan. I've given away over three-quarters of our previous home and moved into a 'warden assisted' flat to be nearer to the hospital. I didn't realise that there were so many rules and regulations when living in this situation. But in time I have had to get used to it.
ReplyDeleteWe did as well, get used to our houses.
DeleteThe Fallingwater house is my kind of place. I could be so happy there.
ReplyDeleteSo would I.
DeleteFunny how our tastes change. Back in 2004 when we had our home built - it was in a development much like you mention. Yet, when we came here (Alabama) I was adamant: "NO cookie-cutters!"
ReplyDeleteThese are all fine homes, but they're far too big for my tastes.
Good for you. Holding onto your vision took some serious discussions with those who with you.
DeleteI would like to see more of the Fallingwater House - but then I would love to live near water (moving or still). If we own our homes we have no restrictions on colour or changes. For which I am grateful.
ReplyDeleteMy son (the entomologist) biked along the East and toured his property and the house. He said it was magnificent.
DeleteI like the first and the last....
ReplyDeleteAny house that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright would be my choice as well.
DeleteAnd I would, of course, go for the Hobbit house!
I have seen Falling Water and it is beautiful. I think you are one of the few people (blog wise) that know the name of Catherine Cookson. I have read every one of her books and when I retire (next year) I plan to reread many of them. It is one of the few book collections I kept when we moved.
ReplyDeleteThanks for popping by my blog today. Would you mind giving me your direct email address? I promise not to sell it to spammers. lol You just come through as a "no reply" when you leave a comment. My own is dianakos1@gmail.com. If you aren't comfortable doing that--no problem. Hugs- Diana
Catherine Cookson! I have not read one of her books in years! Time to find some, settle back, and enjoy!
DeleteLooking forward to talking with you!
I remember reading a few of Catherine Cookson's books years ago. I must read a couple again, to find out why I stopped.
DeleteThank you, you give me so much hope, Susan 🌹🌹
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you here.
DeleteI have been to Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater house a few times and it is magnificent. I would love to live in it although all the tourists peeking in the windows would bother me.
ReplyDeleteWe have not seen it, but it is on our bucket list.
DeleteIf you're giving away free houses, sure, I'd take one! LOL
ReplyDeleteIf only.
DeleteI could live in them. I could live in the bland too, just depends on the stage and money I guess. I've been to about 150,000(repeats in there) properties. So I've seen plenty of interesting ones.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing what novel houses exist around the world.
DeleteSuper post. I love unusual buildings, especially unusual houses. I would love to live in one.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to select just one house of the four. I would say that it depends on what kind of day I am having! Right now, I would go for the Hobbit house.
DeleteWe live in an area where you can build whatever house you want, as long as it is larger than a certain size, i think it's 950 sq. ft. Your colors are yours.
ReplyDeleteYes, i would love to live in a unique house.
The Hobbit House is my choice. YouTube showed it being built.
DeleteDon't even get me started on HOA regs...
ReplyDeleteI feel the pain in your words.
DeleteI could live in the Falling Water House, even if there was a drought and the water quit falling. I like the surrounding woods.
ReplyDeleteI would join you!
DeleteThat last FLW house definitely appeals.
ReplyDeletePretty amazing, isn't it.
DeleteWe have a family cabin in central PA. We've been meaning to make a side trip to Fallingwater for years. Should probably really do it sometime.
DeleteI could live in any of them. I love the ability to let one's mind wander as a designer. I once killed a subdivision dream due to a requirement for a HOA.
ReplyDeleteLove the falling water home. I once fell in love with a house with a water fall beside it. It was in the Georgia mountains.
We did NOT buy it, but thought long and hard. LOL
Good entry BTW.
Sherry & jack
It must have been hard to walk away from it!
Deletei loved description of house you had before retirement dear Susan
ReplyDeletei can may be live in these beautiful houses except one underground
it makes my breath laboring
Claustrophobia might be a problem.
DeleteCould I? Of course.
ReplyDeleteWould I? In a heartbeat. If I had enough money and they were in Australia.
Restrictions on colour choices? That boggles the mind a bit. I hope those restrictions didn't include the interior.
Interior is owner's choice! Hallelujah!
DeleteMy house was probably one of its kind, of 10 million copies.
ReplyDeleteIntriguing.
DeleteI live in Stepfordville, where all homes in the development are the same and or look similar. The HOA enforces the sameness. I hate it. So I will live next anywhere there is no HOA. I don't want someone telling me I must have this color front door with no other options.
ReplyDeleteIn our new place, previous owner wanted to paint front door red. Got turned down, of course. Heck, I'd have turned it down as well.
DeleteHaving lived in high wind states, Florida with hurricanes and now Arkansas with tornadoes, mostly underground appeals to me. Love Cookson's house.
ReplyDeleteHer house is elegant. Hobbit house is fun.
ReplyDeleteIt depends how functional the house is - e.g. the photos you show have either too many steps or long drives to walk to front door.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
The FLW homes would have that problem. The Cookson house looks like it might be okay. But, of course, the Hobbit House would be great, but I suspect it is the size of a walk-in closet.
ReplyDeleteI live in a community where your house can be blue, green, brown, white, or any color you choose. Down the street from me there is a purple house. I could not live in a gated community where the rules are so stringent I couldn't even add a different mailbox. I pity anyone who has to learn to live by rules especially if you OWN the house. Renters don't have the same choices, but we owners should.
ReplyDeleteThere's a FLW house in Wichita. It even has furniture he built for it. Now it's a museum. I could definitely live in one of his homes.
I could live in Fallingwater. I'm not sure about the others!
ReplyDelete