blog Followers

Monday, July 29, 2019

Creating a Title that Catches


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Reboot
The Heroes
When "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" appeared in the early 1990s, I was stunned. Who thought this up? Were they crazy or were they just plain brilliant?

In this comic series, these turtles live in the sewer and have been mutated by some green oozy toxic stuff, turned into the mutant turtles. They are named Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo. They fight an evil mutated rat, which makes up the ongoing plot.

I laughingly said that these were two drunk 20+ unemployed guys, sitting around who came up with up with this. And it would probably be drawn on a napkin. Well, by golly,  IT WAS! So that is how this multi-million dollar movies and comics production came to be.


So, then how about some more incredibly unreasonable book titles?  

Nettles and Me: how I learned to accept them.

Mystery of the Deep Veruca 

How to Train Your Sea Cucumber

Slugs: The New White Meat

The Little Snail who Could

True Story of Jack Sprat

The Crystal Slipper Origins: Godmother Tells All

Trials of a Canine Dentist

Truth about Being A Flying Squirrel by Rocky J. Squirrel

Living a Low-Carb Diet by American Badger

My Large Termite Family Reunion by Ted Isoptera


Okay, Do you have some totally ridiculous titles? Oh, come on. You're creative people. Give us all a giggle.









44 comments:

  1. Offhand I can't think of any ridiculous titles. I did read an ebook recently with a silly title, but can't remember it now and once I've read an ebook I delete it from the kindle. I usually forget all about the book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Could you create a title that is totally off the wall?

      Delete
    2. I remember Judge Judy wrote a book titled Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me it's Raining.

      Delete
  2. My first book for grownups, Susan, needs editing, Snakeskin and Failed Feathers...🤭

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha some things just click. TMNT were sure one of them. Creepy Crawlers was another that shouldn't have worked, sounds like some r rated thing, but did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But do slugs taste like chicken...?
    For movies, the only thing that comes to mind is Doctor Strangelove or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading Nora Ephron’s last book (I think), I Feel Bad About My Neck. She was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your ability to conjure up stuff. 'Stolen'. the latest title that hit me funny and it came about because Sherry went to a play on Girls day out. LOL
    Okay me 'n Alex think alike about the new white meat! OUCH or UG!
    Good read, and it is a fact, a catchy title is a challenge... My best title "I thought" was S'gar. The follow up of my book 'Rag's'. S'gar is of course Rag's Backwards. it was NOT a hit! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! Time to do some brushing up and trying again?

      Delete
  7. In this comic series, these turtles live in the sewer and have been mutated by some green oozy toxic stuff, turned into the mutant turtles.

    Someone's been eating too much spinach.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the original comics, they all wore red masks. It was until the first cartoon, that they made them different colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watched or read these. My students did, which thrilled me. They also liked "Goosebumps". Getting them to read was what was a great thing.

      Delete
  9. The new white meat cracked me up. The one that comes to mind that I loved was "The Grass Is Always Greener over the Septic Tank" by Erma Bombeck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved Erma Bombeck! She was so clever, wrote so well. I read all her books.

      Delete
  10. Isle Of View by Piers Anthony is a favorite book title. Did you know that Rocky (the flying squirrel) had a more sophisticated name? His full name was Rocket J. Squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if that were the case! Couldn't remember, so I went with Rocky.

      Delete
  11. I hadn't heard of any of those. Guess I don't get out much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I have to offer are the names of my imaginary garage band: "Mommy's Got a Headache," which was later changed to "Other Dogs' Anuses."

    As for real-life book titles, I am partial to "Bleachy-Haired Honky Bitch," and "Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those are precious. Keep up the good work.

      Delete
  13. Well, I have recently called watching my cutting machine at work "the ass-backwards dimension," so that might work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that totally meets the requirements. Love it.

      Delete
  14. I think that crazy, over the top titles could go both ways. They could lead to a flop, or they could drive curiosity and become a hit. I guess that they are more likely to flop however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would have thot TMNJ would be the hit?

      It is a hit or miss world.

      Delete
  15. Then there's Captain Underpants.

    When my Sweetie was a little boy, his dad made up a character called Mr. Cigar, a talking cigar that tried to teach kids not to start smoking. It didn't work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember the first time someone asked me for the Ninja Turtles. I was fairly new to the evil toy store, and I had no idea what they were. A fellow employee clued me in. After that, I was well versed in the toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pays to stay on top of these things. There was a book series called "Captain Underpants" which 2nd & 3rd gr. loved.

      Delete
  17. Confessions of a Hangnail

    Fingerpainting: A Career Guide

    Actuaries and the Women Who Love Them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superb!! Especially Fingerpainting: a Career Guide!

      Delete
    2. My two all-time, real world favorites:

      The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

      Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

      Delete
    3. these are excellent. I know the Hitchhiker's Guide, but not Zen and the ARt of Motorcycle Maintenance?! How amazing is that!

      Delete
  18. Bless you for that, Susan 🌹🌹🌹

    ReplyDelete
  19. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
    Freckle Juice
    Amber Brown is not a Crayon :)

    The TMNT were so popular when my oldest and his cousin were young. I'm amazed they're still around! They are entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy Blume came up with some funny titles! Your choices are excellent.

      Delete
  20. One of the best bits of advice about creating a great title is that it should do two things: give a sense of what the book's about and create a question in the reader's mind. Your example titles certainly do those things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you agreed with the weird titles. Wouldn't it be great if someone actually pick them up.

      Delete
  21. … and TMNT are still going strong … grandson enjoys watching the programme :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!