blog Followers

Friday, March 29, 2019

Music, Oh Their Music



Lyrics, quotes, and music image
source

The irony of being our age is that now we can afford to go to concerts of our favorite singers and they are our age:

They have given their last concerts. Some have retired, some have health problems, and some have died.

Oh, they all were so very much the part of our youth, our parenting days, our middle age years.  When we hear a vinyl classic on radio, we sing along loud and smile.

We did see Willie Nelson, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, and Ricky Nelson.  Good memories. Ricky is gone tragically and Neil Diamond retired with Parkinson's. Dylan is still performing, at age 77.

Gladly, Willie Nelson is still with us, still performing at age 86.

Official video, Just Breathe

In 2017 at Harrah's in Valley Center, California, Willie and his son Lucas Nelson performed. I gave (expensive) tickets to my husband for his birthday and we sat in good seats and they were worth it.

Lucas Nelson started the performance with his own incredible voice like his father's and his amazing guitar skills. He was part of A Star Is Born by Bradley Cooper's request.

Then his father walked out on the stage and the air was electric with us fans shouting, clapping.  

It was obvious that Willie was ill, coughing and having difficulty breathing. He sang and played some of his classics, Lucas and brother Micah with their father's voice. For that all too brief time, it was a gift.

When Willie left the stage, he tossed out his battered straw cowboy hat like always. We clapped until our hands were numb. Then Lucas picked up where Willie left and gave us a concert I will always remember. (Willie had pneumonia, had to cancel the next few concerts.)

You know, someday he'll hand his battered guitar to Lucas. A talent like Willie Nelson's will continue even when he steps off the stage and walks on ahead alone. 

I wonder what he will be singing?


This is a chat about their lives, affect of his music
about 3 to 4 minutes





39 comments:

  1. At least his son can carry on in his name. Glad you got to see the performance. I saw Rush's farewell tour and after forty years, it was sad to know they will never tour again. Might perform again at some point - and if they do, I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a few of Willie's recent songs float across my shuffle, and one got on the M10. I have also heard the duet with Lucas. Sad when the biggest thing the Beatles and Monkees have in common now is that there are two of each left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what we were saying on a drive, listening to their music.

      Delete
  3. So much truth in this entry.I have never been a REAL die hard fan of musicians, but THEIR MUSIC during those special times of my life still thrill an old man. I am amazed, i thought Willie and I were closer to the same age, but he is older. Yep I do respect the man.
    Good thoughts lady,
    Sherry & jack
    PS: We stumbled onto the "Raindrops and Boondocks" tour in NY's Roundout Valley, for a free seniors show. Standing listening, a young girl beside my Sherry asked, "Are they supposed to be somebody?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been a time either for sighs or laughs or both.
      My daughter and husband have exposed our gr-daughters to a cross section of music. And, we listen to more currents songs. Great fun.

      Delete
  4. Oh what a beautiful song!!! Thank you for sharing that! Is Lucas the one with the long hair, my gosh he sounds like his dad. Songs like that always choke me up a little bit. :)

    I was more into 80's music...so many of them passed away. I haven't been to a concert in years though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that I am a decade or two older than you! We loved the songs of the 70s and 80s. Our now grown children were part of the 80s, but hated the 90s. "Insipid" they said.

      Delete
  5. I am always shocked when I learn of the death of someone who performed when I was young. Ricky Nelson was a tough one for me. I even named my son after him. When he was in our area right before he died I was unable to see him because I could not get the night off from work. He was only a mile straight down the road from where I worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sad. He performed about 2 miles form us and we could get a sitter. Ricky was part of the Nelson show and I thought he was cute.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. When Johnny Cash died, I really hadn't connected with his music. Now I have discovered his music and find it says a lot.

      Delete
  7. I listen to music a lot and love finding a song that I can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No matter how long we have them around, or how many times we may get to see them perform, it's not long enough or often enough when you have a true talent like Willie Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first slide sure 'speaks' the truth!!! I've been blessed see Willie on 4 occasions, but never heard his son until now. Having worked at the television station, I was fortunate to see many performers -- Rolling Stones, Miami Sound Machine, Billy Joel, Crosby Stills and Nash, and Barry Manilow. But Willie may be my favorite. Just sad never having had a chance to see Waylon. Thank you for these videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! And now they tell me the video's unavailable. Off to YouTube!

      Delete
    2. You listed some of our favorite musicians!

      Delete
  10. So glad Willie has those boys to keep it all going. I became his fan with "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whenever I hear a song that I liked all those years ago, I recall the feelings I had and the things I did. It's like going back in a time machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A time machine is a good comparison. We were "kids" then with kids of our own.

      Delete
  12. Sad, and unnecessary, perhaps but I consider some of these "farewell" concerts as still way too expensive, considering that none of them come anywhere near where I live (Binghamton, NY) meaning we have to factor in gas and an overnight motel room, too. Still, I would have loved to have seen Elton John and Rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Paul Simon too.

      We live between San Diego and L.A. So the drives are about 2 hours. We're lucky.

      Delete
  13. I watched a show on the REELZ channel last week, "Breaking the Band: Fleetwood Mac." It was made in 2018, I think, and I was SHOCKED at how old they were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleetwood Mac is one of our favorite bands.

      I'd love to see them. And Credence Clearwater Revival.

      Delete
  14. I've seen Willie Nelson in a couple of movies, but I don't remember any of his songs. I was never a big fan, but I'm glad he is still around, too many have died too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too many abused their lives and took chances.

      Delete
  15. He sure has put out some good ones indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been performing for at least 50 (50!!) years. Put out goodies indeed.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for this one, Susan. I sometimes get a little down when I see some of my favorites on PBS specials and they look so old! I realize we do too (which is probably why I get depressed!) But the music is still so very good and there is no doubt they are legendary performers who will keep going. And there WILL be an audience, to be sure. I would love to see Willie in concert.

    Thanks for your visits to my blog and your comments. Things have been a little rough lately and I'm very behind on visiting and commenting myself. Hopefully things will turn around soon. But I smile when I see your comments. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy your blogs!

      It is the same with actors we watched in our young parent days. We'll find out how old they are and they are our age. When we see them on a show, they look as old as we do. That makes us feel good. Age is part of their and our lives.

      Delete
  17. I didn't know Neil Diamond had Parkinson's. He's my mom's all-time favorite. I like the harmony with this group. My grandma loved Willie and she loved little feel-good get-togethers like this, and I do too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Diamond's concert was awesome. Audience contained all ages of fans.
      I enjoyed the sit-down as well.

      Delete
  18. Susan:
    I know what you mean.
    In my "heyday", I attended a good share of concerts.
    Saw Lou Rawls, Aerosmith, Air Supply, Manilow, Beach Boys, Bowie (Serious Moonlight AND Glass Spider tours), Nugent (twice), and Neil Diamond to name some. Was worth every penny.
    ---Luckily, those were times before they denied taking camera inside, so I got some pictures (slides) of some of the acts.
    Can't say there's much today that I would pay to see, and almost all "our" acts have either passed on or retired.
    ...And we will never see their likes again, but it sure was great!
    (the music will STILL live on long after we pass away)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "We will never see their likes again, but it sure was great!" is exactly what I said to my husband.
      If we want to see them, now is the time to do so.

      Delete
  19. Madonna was my first musical idol and I think going to one of her concerts may be weird at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wonderful tribute to a living legend. I'm glad you got to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some definitely stand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!