blog Followers

Sunday, September 23, 2018

The Old Bin

PhotoPrompt  July 2012



The storage bin had been a part of the farm house as long as anyone could remember.  Even back many generations, that bin was there, leaning up against the barn. 

It used to store chicken feed.  Farmer Gunter got rid of the chickens after a few decades. 

Then the bin was used to keep coal before the farmer switched to propane.  He cleaned the bin out and thought about how it could be used.  He even asked his wife Bernadette what they should do with the empty bin.

Bernie launched into another harangue about him being too lazy to even think for himself, and then moved on to his other deficiencies.  The list was long.  Gunter stared at her blankly as she continued.

After some time, Gunter packed up his suitcase and gathered up all their money stored in the cellar since the Great Depression.  As he passed by the bin, he patted the lid which sported shiny new nails all around the perimeter. 

“You’re right, Bernie.  I shoulda thought of this long ago.”  Silence was his answer.


The was a photo prompt from July 2012. Delores at Mumblings provided the photo and participants were invited to latch a story onto the photo.  This was my take. 

Also, we will be on a trip from Mon-Thurs. (9/24-27) Won't be commenting but will see you when we return. Also, my daughter and our gr-son Benjamin will be visiting from 9/27-10/8.  So maybe I'll check in then, too.

25 comments:

  1. ...especially if the knees are bent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha she gave him his answer without even knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernie! Never turn your back on anyone. You found your answer about the bin.

      Delete
  3. I remember this take, and loved your waltz down the dark side.
    Have fun with your family (a totally redundant comment).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I enjoy writing twisted dark humor.
      We'll looking forward to all our adventures.

      Delete
  4. It's finally doing the job it was meant to do.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a dark cold place, just like Bernie's heart.

      Delete
  5. Well, that had a stinger in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, Bernie should have kept her mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lately I've been watching a lot of reruns from the Alfred Hitchcock TV show. This story would have been a good one for that series. Classic!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one where the murder weapon was a frozen leg of lamb. It was roasting in the oven by the time police arrived.

      Delete
  8. Dear Susan, I so agree with Arlee Bird's comment--your story would be provide a suspenseful and tense episode on Hitchcock! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The images were clear in my mind while I wrote it. Maybe it is the farm girl in me.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Finally! I wonder where he will go with the money?

      Delete
  10. Loved the serenity place have my friend!

    your sharing are always not only interesting but little unique

    enjoy you trip and family gathering!
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see your name!! It is good to have my writing to be called unique.

      Delete
  11. It is always good to see your name!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!