| Source: one heck of a taproot |
The importance of the
taproot is underrated. Sure, carrots and
radishes can hold their own in the garden, but what about the other
taproots? The unsung heroes of the lawn
and garden? Or, perhaps, what about the
enemy taproots that fight and cling?
Such a strange topic,
isn’t it? This is my challenge for today:
finding a topic that is unusual, while having meaning to all who have any sort
of garden or lawn.
Many readers have
amazing gardens. Elephant’s Child amazes
us with her photos and dedication to the beautiful garden she enjoys. Gary Pennick’s delightful gnome and fairy
grotto combines with some wonderful plants around his abode. Inger is surrounded by desert growth which
dazzles in the winter and spring.
And who can forget Joanne's sunflower at Cup on the Bus? Talk about a taproot that really digs deep!
And who can forget Joanne's sunflower at Cup on the Bus? Talk about a taproot that really digs deep!
| Please visit Joanne's site, highlighted above. |
Native Americans appreciated the medicinal value of herbal taproots for their healing properties.
So why is the taproot
so important? And, for that matter, what
is a taproot?
The taproot is the
main root that anchors the plant. From it
dispatches secondary branch roots that seek out water and nutrients, as well as further anchoring the plant. The taproot is vital to a plant’s survival.
| Source |
Whenever you are
trying to pull a weed from the ground and having a hard time of it, it is the
taproot’s fault. You aren't (or may not be) a weakling. Just don't hurt your back.
There. If you have read all this blog, then you have become all the more wiser.
And if you don't get all of the nasty taproot that weed you are trying to eradicate will be back shortly.
ReplyDeleteStubborn things, aren't they.
DeleteYou educate as you post. Taproots stand the test of time. Families, especially should have strong taproots.
ReplyDeleteHopefully, those taproots go deep, through many generations.
DeleteI only have one thing to say. Morning glories.
ReplyDeleteAnother topic: support. That sunflower had a staff.
Did it!? I bet that thing needed some extra support, without the other sunflowers that normally surround it!
DeleteIs it wrong that I've never heard of taproot?? I need to get out more :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThistles and dandelions have strong taproots. And I agree with Manzanita, families need strong ones.
ReplyDeleteThistles esp. Manzanita is wise, as she is talented.
DeleteHmm first I've heard of a taproot too, that I can recall.
ReplyDeleteYou must find a garden somewhere in the summer, and try to pull a mature carrot from the ground. then you will understand.
DeleteHi Susan,
ReplyDeleteI think I've tapped into something with your informative article. My human is most flattered you including his garden amongst those other fine displays of nature's wonders. Thank you and may we all have pawsitive roots.
Pawsitive wishes,
Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar!
It is clear that Penny keeps you rooted and growing. Any root hair would need to be shaved on a daily basis.
DeleteA taproot..., well, that sure is digging deep for a post.
ReplyDeleteYou know it. Migraines and a blank screen do that to me.
DeleteI never heard of a taproot. I am all into holistic medicine and natural foods.
ReplyDeleteI have been reading a book, Healing Secrets of the Native American, by Porter Shimer. I will be writing about a book I found on Wednesday.
DeleteTaproots for weeds could dig for the Olympics. And would win gold every time. And also have the ability to miraculously rejuvenate from a single cell. Super heroes envy them.
ReplyDelete(And thanks for the heads up. The garden is turning into a crispy critter at the moment in our vile heat. Hopefully it has some of the persistence of tap roots.)
The Olympics, indeed! While you are supposed in your summer, we have skipped over our winter and are heading there ourselves. 80 deg.F today!
ReplyDeleteAnd after living in hurricane country, I can testify that oaks have lousy taproots.
ReplyDeleteSome Oaks have roots that stretch out to anchor them that way, and to acquire the most nutrients and water. Palm trees are much the same. I wonder what kind of oak trees you have?
DeleteSome taproots can be stubborn
ReplyDeleteTaproots have made me happy without me even knowing it. They've also irked me (and I knew it). :)
ReplyDeleteGood job w/the topic!
Wonderful information for those who know not. The feeder root lives and feeds all the plants.
ReplyDeleteIn the past I tried to pull weeds that were so tough I was convinced the tap roots went two miles into the earth. Now I hack them off at ground level and squirt with roundup. Lo and behold...another grows again not two inches away! Damn weeds.
ReplyDeletehmmm, I have never heard of taproots before... I'll be sure to remember the next time I pull a large weed out of our garden ;)
ReplyDeleteThat's what I love about blogging, you always learn something new. And I will never look at a weed the same way again. Thanks for mentioning my blog.
ReplyDelete