blog Followers

Monday, April 6, 2026

Battle of the eggs


Easter egg hunt

 Who are these people and why are they being so nice? 
 
It was a brutal competition, with lots of screaming, shoving and pushing. There may have been some scratching and punching as well. There are no memories about who garnered the most eggs; the hunt was not so much about speed—it was about who was most devious. 

Then Easter was gone, baskets were packed away for next year, and deviled eggs were supper. With no holiday to anticipate, a veil of tedium settled over our farm in a pre-summer heat. A day or two passed, and then?

In the middle of the night, something woke me, something like a POP!  I rolled over, catching just a hint of chocolate.  Then a new smell came in waves---foul, recognizable, nauseating.

It was the distinctive odor of rotten eggs.  Rolling out of bed and looking under it, I spotted a lone Easter basket with the remains of an exploded egg.  One of my three brothers had placed it there before I went to bed. (My bedroom was that clean...seriously...even under the bed...)


Opened the window…threw the Basket out…and heard the muffled giggles from my brothers’ rooms.  They were waiting for my own explosion. 

Well, they did not get it.  I tiptoed down the stairs and slept on the couch.  The rotten egg smell did not limit itself to my room; it traveled to their room as well.

Justice and revenge would wait for another day.  I was the soul of patience.

Those bastards....

This was originally published in 2019, again in 2021 and 2023. I know most of you have read this before. But I really loved the story and the memory. It was one of those things that is never forgotten.

vintage Easter basket // woven wicker natural and pink and green Easter decoration 1960s 1950s
Source etsy

16 comments:

  1. Ick...I can smell that sulfurous odor just reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you could enjoy it, even with out the smell affect.

      Delete
  2. it is a funny story now, but I would not have thought funny if it was under my bed.
    The thing is, I did not know rotten eggs would explode, have never seen a rotten egg, or smelled one. I hope I never do... I do know the rotten egg smell of sulfur water, my grandmothers water in her house here had only a well with sulfur water. ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew!!! That's why we only use plastic eggs with chocolate or coins placed inside. I'd be furious about a stinky egg, too, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life has given me some interesting experiences.

      Delete
  4. They should have known better than to mess with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they learned that over the years. I think sometimes they were just confused.

      Delete
  5. One day one of my uncles found a very old and very neglected goose egg. Grandpa told him to get rid of it... fast. Several uncles and several of us gathered to see how far he could throw it down the hill. Way down there it hit a tree and shattered. The stench hung over the farm for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. goose eggs are huge. Lots of explosive possibilities.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I can see how you relish telling the tale this many years after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it gives me joy to tell this story. Brothers,

      Delete
  7. Having 4 brothers I can sympathize! But they never put rotten eggs under my bed! That's pretty rotten on it's own. Just opening a hard boiled egg that's not rotten has it's smell! I hope you had a good Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!