![]() | ||
| The exhibition celebrates the history of an old candle making factory which was based on Bankside more than 100 years ago |
It is August 10 and the day will be roasting hot by noon. Temperatures of our area may reach 108 deg. today.
Just when the inside feels like I could bake cookies on the counter, a magical thing happens.
![]() |
| Source: livia-maria |
Our
local energy company SDG & E electric employs the FLEX energy plan
to keep the electrical grids from overloading. That means they can turn
my A/C off. Off!! with the fan still running. I had enrolled in this when I was gone at work much of the day. However, those days were over, and I needed cold air.
After settling that issue with the representatives, I waited and waited.
![]() |
| Source |
Off,
with the interior thermometer rising slowly up the scale. 82º? That
is nothing. 86º, and it keeps rising. I stop looking.
Outside? Thermometer past 95 and still going...
Outside? Thermometer past 95 and still going...
The A/C returned. God bless it.
This is a re-post from 2014 or 2013. It doesn't matter; hot one year or the other doesn't matter.



August here isn't so bad, it's winter but the skies are often blue and sunny, though the air is cold and nights are frosty.
ReplyDeleteYears ago when I worked in the shoe factory, almost everyone working on "my" assembly line had an August birthday, including me. We all ate a lot of cake every August.
Our daughter's b-day in on the 14th. Cake sounds great.
DeleteYikes. We are i a cooldown mode now -- which means 80s, which is fine. 90s and beyond (especially if it's humid) gets a little gnarly. I love summer. But I like it MY way. (Don't we all!)
ReplyDeleteI prefer autumn and winter (to a degree) over summer any day.
DeleteThat would be awful to have one's AC shut off in summer!
ReplyDeleteWe are spoiled. In my childhood only the better off people had A/C.
DeleteWhen we lived in NYC and I learned that they would black out certain areas whenever they felt like it, I was outraged. They need to build to match the infrastructure. If that's not possible, populations need to be dispersed. Okay, I'm backing off that one. Tenders spot. Sorry.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like it could be deadly for elderly.
DeleteLiving here in Georgia, I would die in the summer if I didn't have air conditioning. The heat is for the birds. I'll take winter any time. Blessings, Susan!
ReplyDeleteI grew up in Illinois where summers were misery.
DeleteThey haven't instituted this here in the swamps and I know many people would go on a rampage if they tried. It's hard to be without A/C down here.
ReplyDeleteOh, yes. Southern heat and humidity can take anyone down.
DeleteYeah, I don't like August much, either. And sadly, I know September and October are likely to be hot, too. Wake me when people are complaining about it being too cold.
ReplyDeleteWe need a cave to hibernate through the hot months, waking only when it is cooler.
DeleteYEP we all get a little cranky approaching 100 degrees!!!! BUT A/C is a wonderful thing for us OLD folks. LOL
ReplyDeleteGood 'un!
We just sprayed the roses (planted pre-2015) and check all the plants for any pests, etc. A/C is a gift.
DeleteOh, my hubby would have a fit if the A/C was off! He's not fond of heat and I'm not either. I'm a Fall gal through and through. I'm trying not to complain or wish my life away but still when the temps rise with the humidity...like this weekend is forecasting...well, I'll be a bit cranky!
ReplyDeletecranky girls unite!
DeleteSo true that August is humid and hot and such extreme heat makes people as they are carrying burdens over head and being cranky has to be justified 😅
ReplyDeleteWhenever I see a women carrying a pot on her head, walking in the heat, I know that we are blessed to have this amazing invention.
Delete