blog Followers

Thursday, January 9, 2025

Let the carnage begin.

 Winter Squash, Butternut clan mix | Siskiyou Seeds

.butternut squash 

Lately, Julia was regretting that she had married Merle. She had waited patiently, but Merle had denied her last chances of happiness.

Her mother, Clara had spent an quiet unhappy life, but found solace in her garden, raising mainly succotash and squash with cherry tomatoes. Why, is not known. 

At the end of a long day, Julia sobbed in Mom’s kitchen, as Mom chopped the vegetables, adding a carrot for color. “Well, girl. You could use this to settle him down.” She handed over a squash, returning to the succotash.

Mom recognized a solution, a singularly strange one. It would involve Merle, squash, and a battery operated table top circular saw blade. After a quick trip to the Home Depot near Merle’s urban house, then both women knocked at the door. After he opened the door, the carnage began.

 They stood over Merle’s body, clutching the squash. “Here you go, sweetheart. I sent this for dinner.” She dropped the squash into his bleeding hand.
saute’ in garlic butter.” Julia left.

Why Mom grew these S-vegetables was always confusing. Maybe some day she would reveal that to Julia. There seemed to be a peculiar choice that had a dark meaning.

 Here are the Wed. Words for that week:  sweetheart, semi-table, solace, singularly, solution, married, lately, denied, squash, urban  These words were from February 2022.

Wrestle with them and see if you can get them to make sense.  Looking forward to seeing what you find. Head on over to this site: Elephant's Child


17 comments:

  1. Definitely dark. I would be very interested to see what you do with this week's prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would worry anytime a daughter and mother together got together to plane revenge. Take care and watch out for fire...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the fire is so frightening. we live in fire zone, surrounded and filled by dry growth. We have watched fires from our old house, that burned about 20 mi. away.

      Delete
  3. Now comes the real trick, not getting caught for doing the deed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. Perhaps there will be another collection of weird words to blend with the squash.

      Delete
  4. Gruesome but effective. You do have a dark side. I like itr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darkness begets darkness. This story does reveal how vulnerable we, as humans, are to the influence of the evil one. Creative thinking though, Susan, and you deserve credit for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! sometimes it is a challenge to use odd words.

      Delete
  6. Your stories get so dark. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. sometimes there needs to be a humorous darkness.

      Delete
  7. I'm missing the point completely. What's the squash got to do with the carnage? I need pictures. Maybe you could get your hubby to roll play. Email me if you don't want to tell in the comment section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this was all a fight to use words provided. squash was a hard one, so I elevated it. I let the bloggers use their imagination.

      Delete
  8. I'm with Mike. What does the squash have to do with the carnage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squash is used as a weapon of some sort just to get a use for the word. Yeah, I know, it is a stretch.

      Delete
  9. I'm not a squash eater, and glad of it! (Especially now...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy butternut squash. The others have little taste.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!