blog Followers

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Thieves of their time together

 

 pere marquette (203)

                                                            Pere Marqette info

 Whenever my mom's side of the family got together, we were told to "shoo away". They were the important people, but we children were kicked under the bus.  We ran up hill and then down.  It was exhausting, but there was a lot of food, which we consumed en mass.

Their faces and voices still linger in my mind.  I noticed them, but realized that we were the thieves of their time together. "Shoo shoo" was their way of telling us that they were in their own history, telling the stories of their own lives.

So, we raced, climbed, teased each other all on a Labor Day weekend.  Where? Pere Marquette Illinois State Park, near Alton, Godfrey Illinois.

Trails in Pere Marquette's State Park, Illinois, United States 63912700 | AllTrails.com 

One of the trails 

Photos of Pere Marquette State Forest, Michigan long trails | AllTrails 

lots of trails 

View All This would be the adults.

The voices and laughter still ring in my head. Only one of the adults is  around but not functioning. Only a few of our racing kids are still alive.  

Good times, good memories. Sigh. 

 

Note: After one strenuous climb, I ran to the ice tub and pulled out a cream soda. I drank it down in two gulps.  Then I threw it up.  Still can't stand cream soda.

25 comments:

  1. our family reunuons on daddy's side were at his sisters home, all the family came there, she had lots of room. plus she lived next door to us. my favorite thing to do while the other children raced and played was to hang in the males only living room and listen to all their stories. I hung on every word. Daddy had 4 brothers 1 sister, the brothers five loved to tell tall tales and I do love a tall tale. it was like listening to one on my beloved books. that side was together at least twice a year or more, mothers was 400 miles away, so rare but when we did meet it was all women. literally, there were no males that would attend it. loud and fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful telling of your reunions. My dad often refused to go to Mom's family reunion. Mom made some threats and Dad gave in.

      Delete
  2. My family was small and all lived in Stockholm, so there was no need for reunions. But when I first came to America, I visited my grandmother's brother in Brooklyn. He had emigrated to America in 1911, so that was a very special meeting, if not exactly a reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunday dinners and holidays were also for family. I used to take an unobtrusive spot and listen to all the family stories. It was how I got to know my roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I sat in a corner and listened to Mom and sisters telling stories. When they said "ovaries" I was aghast.

      Delete
  4. Our family was small and there were no reunions. I am v familiar with shoo, shoo though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if other people my age heard that one.

      Delete
  5. My Aunt Minerva once told me to "shoo shoo little canoe".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ... the memories ...

    God bless, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thrill of climbing the hill was exciting.

      Delete
  7. We've been to Pere Marquette once. I just checked to see if I'd done a post on it. Nope. Maybe later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place. We stopped by as adults and walked around the park. It was as wonderful as I remembered.

      Delete
  8. It's sad when the adults make no time for the children. How are those children going to know all the old family stories, to keep them alive, if the adults won't let them be a part of the telling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To listen in on Mom and her sisters tell stories was a blessing. Dad was a storyteller, and I use them a lot in my other writing site.

      Delete
  9. And now you're the adults shooing the kiddos away. Or do you enjoy their antics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are right there with us. We never shooed them away.

      Delete
  10. In Canada when I was young, we were taught in school about the explorations of Marquette and Joliet. I don't think I would like cream soda after that incident either, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even drink cream soda combined with Coke.

      Delete
  11. Neither side of our family had reunions when I was a kid. the reunions were funerals and the wakes. I never wanted to be around the adults, just my cousins, We had a ball, playing until we crashed somewhere in the home where the wake was held. sometime 8 to a bed. I never realized how serious death was until later.

    Great entry. and good read,
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wake is common in Ireland, not so much in our part of the world. It is a mixture of mourning and laughing at memories. Yes, drinking is big there, too.

      Delete
  12. There were no reunions when I was little, Mum and Dad brought my sister and me from Germany and there was no other family in Australia. Now that my kids are grown, there is an occasional get-together, but it hasn't become a tradition yet. I'm hoping it will be as the family grows larger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We made a big move (half a world away) where we were without immediate family. Our 3 adult kids are trying to keep the cousins in the loop.

      Delete
  13. That second picture, me and Misty know a spot at Shoaff like that- but its at the edge of the river drop off, so we avoid it. Cream soda, right with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So far no commenters liked cream soda.
    I remember the Pere Marquette hiking trails were daunting, but we ran up them without stopping.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!