California
has been in the grip of a drought for three years. Three stinkin’ years!
We did not
expect much from our thirsty citrus trees.
Even though we could see the fruit spotted within the green leaves, it
did not look like a bumper crop.
| A combination of navel oranges, tangerines, Meyer lemons, lemons |
But we were
wrong. Last week we picked twenty pounds
of the citrus, mainly oranges. This week,
I picked almost thirty fifty pounds. (I bagged it all up in 10 lb. to hand out. I was astounded that there 50 actually 50 pounds!)
The lemons
are about ready to pick and I fear we will be buried in them. Fortunately, we have many neighbors with which
whom we can share our wealth.
whom we can share our wealth.
Lucky you to have your own oranges and lemons...mmmmm....marmalade. The citrus we get in our grocery stores here is pathetic.
ReplyDeleteMarmalade would be perfect! I could have gr-fruit, oranges, and lemon. Get out the recipe book! And buy some liquor (the Irish/English version has it).
DeleteI feel healthier just looking at the picture. We are about to be buried in snow and some vitamin C could help my attitude.
ReplyDeleteAre you in the coming storm??
DeleteOh wow - what a bountiful harvest!!
ReplyDeleteIndeed!
DeleteIf I lived closer, I'd be happy to take some off your hands. Glad it turned out to be a good crop.
ReplyDeleteThe citrus has two seasons: January and June. The new blossoms are already starting. June is never like this. Shall I mail some to you?
DeleteWow, you sure got a workout in lifting those.
ReplyDeleteI put them in a blue IKEA bag (built to last) and dragged them across the concrete. Heavy load indeed.
DeleteOooooo, my mouth is watering. Not that I'm bragging, but we've been in a drought where we live in Texas for 5 years now. We haven't had any kind of garden for 3 or lawn for 3 because we can't afford the waste/pay for the water! I am so ready for frog choker it at funny.
ReplyDeleteYour mission, Susan, should you choose to accept it is to pick up an award on my blog. As always, should you be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.
We have had more rain this year than in all the three years combined. Hope this comes to you as well.
DeleteWhat an amazing achievement for the trees. Did you share any of the rain over the last several weeks? Hardly enough for late absorption, I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteNice towel!
I love this towel, and its twin! Awesome!
DeleteIt was supposed to rain today. Maybe. Doesn't look like it. Maybe the rain will start this year? We can hope.
ReplyDeleteRain, let it rain! Maybe this year will be different.
DeleteI can almost smell those oranges through the screen! How generous of God to give abundant crops despite lack of rain. I'm sure a lot of lemonade can be made with all those lemons!
ReplyDeleteWe have a neighbor girl who comes over with her daddy and pick as many lemons as they want (with our permission, of course). He made a little stand for her!
DeleteLOVE the towel yay Joanne). And your bumper crop.
ReplyDeleteLoathe drought - too often a feature of my country too. I hope it breaks soon.
The climates over all are moving and changing all the time. Hope this means more rain for you!
DeleteYou won't need an orange for a long time
ReplyDeleteOddly enough, we really can't eat much citrus. Meds and such. But the oranges are big, juicy, and have few seeds.
DeleteI'm a citrus fiend. I should have settled somewhere I could grow my own fruit.
ReplyDeleteThat's a LOT of citrus! How many trees do you have?
ReplyDeleteI don't buy much citrus, I can't eat oranges and don't seem to do much with lemons either. In summer I scrape thin strips of peel from lemons and drop them into my daily bottle of water for a little added flavour.
50 lbs! That's awesome for you! I would love to have citrus trees. Not happening where I live, not by a long shot. ;)
ReplyDelete