Riding
a rough horse—
Cannot
be reined in.
Jumps
the fences,
Lands
hard on stony ground.
Shoots
along flat faceless land,
Ducks
under spiny trees,
Sweeps
through sage brush.
Won’t
let rider dismount, no, no,
Wind
chapped, finally brakes cold,
Shakes
head, nickers, and tosses mane,
When
the rider.
Slams.
Down.
What do you think this poem is truly saying?
What do you think this poem is truly saying?
The battle through life.
ReplyDeleteSo wonderful to see your name! You have been missed!
DeleteThere are so many different battles and each one is a rough ride.
Life just takes off on you and you'd darn well better hold on.
ReplyDeleteWell said.
DeleteGetting out of bed in the morning.
ReplyDeleteWhen your feet hit the floor, arthritis reminds you that you are not 20 anymore.
DeleteLife can kick you down but you have to get back up
ReplyDeleteAlways always get up.
DeleteDon't try to control what you cannot. The situation was quite disdainful of the effort the controller put it, futilely. Must have been trying to roll a pint of water up Niagara Falls.
ReplyDeleteNow THAT is an interesting image. Futile indeed. And dangerous.
DeleteI'm with Joanne's perception. Don't control what you can't. And when you think you're in control, are you really?
ReplyDeleteNo one is ever in control of anything. We like to think we are, but I know that only God is in charge.
DeleteSuch an evocative piece speaking to so many parts of me.
ReplyDeleteA random selection?
Hang on tight, it is going to be a hell of a ride.
Resistence is futile...
And the snickering of the beast in control did make me think of the laughter of the gods...
I loved Joanne's analogy of rolling water as well.
Some great quotes there, Sue. Bette Davis to Star Trek: excellent.
DeleteJoanne nailed it, as did you!
No matter how much we want it, the world won't stop and let us get off...
ReplyDeleteGravity is a gift, and so is a God-centered life.
DeleteI love the analogy of life and riding a runaway wild horse. I like wild horses. My Father always said, 'you can't look a wild horse in the eye so you'd better hang on'. Thrills and spills that is life.
ReplyDeleteYour father was wise. I hope you have hung on!
DeleteThere will always be hills to climb
ReplyDelete...and to fall down to valleys.
Deletewhat do I think this poem is truly saying?
ReplyDeleteNot a clue.
I think you do; you have seen much over the years.
DeleteI shall write it down and study on it for a day or two.
DeleteHappy birthday!!!!! And enjoy Riff Trax tonight. We'll have to compare notes. And see if either us remembers the jokes...
ReplyDeleteWhen it was on SyFy (?) we with our teens watched it together. Superb! I will let you know if we remember any of the jokes!
DeleteHappy belated birthday, Susan! Hope you're still celebrating! This was a wonderful poem with the important message of never giving up. I could especially relate to Arleen's interpretation!
ReplyDeleteJulie
Hang on, Tightly!!! Every rough patch in life needs a tight fist.
Delete