| Source: xymonau |
Champagne bubbles were illuminated by the full
moon overhead as Sam and Nora snuggled on a bench along the boardwalk, enjoying the sounds of the rolling surf.
| Source: brainloc |
They touched the wine
flutes together with a clink. Nora found a tissue and wiped her teary eyes.
The moonlight glinted off Sam’s balding
head as he smiled.
“Oh, Nora! We’re not done yet,” he chuckled. Kissing her deeply, Sam stood and pulled Nora
to her feet. Another sound kiss all but cemented them both in place.
“Same time, same
place next year, Sam?” Nora smiled,
gazing up at Sam tenderly.
Sam nodded as they
broke their embrace, reluctantly pulling away.
As each headed off in
different directions to their respective spouses, Sam raised his glass. “Here’s lookin’ at you, kid.”
As the fog rolled in,
each disappeared into the shadows of their other lives.
| Source: mjio |
With apologies to Casablanca. Many thanks to Delores/myfeatherednest! Delores is faithful in finding amazing words for each Wednesday. Please see what she has created, along with others in her comment section.
Dangerous game they are playing...
ReplyDeleteHave you ever seen "Same Time, Next Year" with Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn? I was thinking of this movie recently...
DeleteI saw that movie! I actually liked it! ;)
DeleteHow romantic.
ReplyDeleteThe photos are wonderful, and give a romantic glow.
DeleteTrue love? I would love to know more about Sam and Nora. A lot more. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteSam and Nora--so many questions that can't be answered.
DeleteOnly once a year? Must be rough
ReplyDeleteMaybe they met decades before, promising to return. But life intervened and they each fell in love with others. Who knows?
DeleteRisky thing to do, as a divorce could come leaving them with nothing but the loo.
ReplyDeleteBeing left with only a loo? That would be awful.
DeleteDear Susan, I finally realized what you had the words in bold---they were the ones you were to use! I can see that this technique is truly a catalyst for creative writing. If I weren't writing an on-line memoir with stories from my own past, I'd surely try to use this technique every so often.
ReplyDeleteYour stories never fail to capture my interest; they make me want to read more. more. more. Peace.
Little stories are exercises in writing. I do enjoy Delores and her Wednesday Word Challenges.
DeleteYou sucked me in with every word! And I didn't see that ending coming.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Casablanca. Humphrey Bogart is soooo sexy!
I could watch Casablanca again and again. Superb.
DeleteIt's a captivating short, Susan. And the pictures add very much to the feel. Good choices. Well done.
ReplyDeleteOooh! Naughty! Naughty!
ReplyDeleteI'm loving these Wednesday words. I think I'll join you and Delores!