The letter “W” whirls around my brain like a
washer on heavy duty spin. All my great
ideas, the ones I took rigorous notes and scribbles about back in March, now smell
as bad as a tri-color pasta salad left too long in the trunk.
No, I am just teasing. I decided to go with a monster theme here, naming one with "W" and the other with "X".
So here it is:
Wyvern: n. (heraldry) a two-legged dragon with
outspread wings and a barbed tail [M.E. wyver
fr. O.F. wyvre, var. of vivre, serpent]
It makes me wonder how this creature (mythical, I hope) was created. It took some creative minds and some frightened peasants to come up with such an extreme creature. Two legs! Wings! A dragon! Barbed tail! Nothing in God's animal kingdom existed like this Wyvern. Extremely creative. Extremely frightening!
From Wikipedia (God bless it!)
| This Wyvern relief carving is in Italy! |
| A Wyvern, which is apparently well-known to all except me |
Wyvern makes for a terrifying combo, for sure. Happy Friday!
ReplyDeleteWouldn't want to meet that in a dark alley.
ReplyDeletekinda beautiful in it's own way and no i don't think you will let us down with x :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe it was real and the aliens took the away to another planet or us.
ReplyDeleteJust like the one on the Welsh flag! :-)
ReplyDeleteI think it is the one on the Welsh flag, but never gave it any thought until "W".
ReplyDeletePat--Maybe the Wyvern IS the alien?
Lynn--I promise "X" will be interesting!
Delores--no, I'm not a fan of dark alley scenarios either.
Jaybird--It is the talons that get to me.
I did not know there was a name for this particular type of dragon. But the name is a good one, it has the sound and feel of something archaic and menacing.
ReplyDeleteI have full confidence in you that you will come up with an X theme. You are a terrific writer, Susan.
ReplyDeleteI think that people throughout time are thrilled when they are frightened. I don't understand why, but it also gives me a thrill - so bring on the dragons.
Not a lot of words start with "wyv" either - a good one to remember for SCRABBLE.
ReplyDeleteI also haven't heard of Wyverns before. Extra points for an unusual "W" word, and I'm confident that your "X" will eXceed my eXpectations!
ReplyDeleteJulie