| From this source |
How the horse came to
the New World is fairly well documented.
Spanish and French explorers shipped them over early on in their
conquest of the New World.
Some horses
either escaped or were left behind.
These horses became the mustangs, the wild horses that filled the plains
and dominated history for the Native Americans.
But, questions niggles at my brain: what did the indigenous tribes think about the horse? Did they realize what the horse would give them? Did they view the horse as an extension of the Spanish, as an animal to serve them, or what??
The book, Gift of
the Sacred Dog, grants the reader a better answer about the horse.
The horse benefited
the Native Americans, allowing them to survive and prosper. At least for a while, anyway.
This G-H dual post
celebrates the beauty, nobility, and power of the horse, one of God’s
creatures.
See you tomorrow on the I-J posts: Icons of Just living...
See you tomorrow on the I-J posts: Icons of Just living...
i love the mustangs--so beautiful---wonderful wondering today--great questions!
ReplyDeleteThey are spectacular, aren't they!
DeleteI learned something today, and that is a good thing. I thought horses were always here and not imported.
ReplyDeleteHave you ever watched 'Hidalgo'? Not exactly a great movie, but it is a true story about a mustang and its owner. They compete in a grueling race in the Sahara.
DeleteOne good thing they did bringing them over, as for the mention of the new world, instantly thought of that movie, one of the worst movie ever.
ReplyDeleteThat movie was absolutely awful--and it had possibilities. Poor writing, poor directing.
DeleteThis would be a fabulous book to get for my grandson.
ReplyDeleteThere are a few more I would recommend. Books by Byrd Baylor and Peter Parnell are about the desert and the Native American culture.
DeleteI envy the joy they must experience when running free.
ReplyDeleteJust wonderful.
ReplyDeleteA Horse is a Horse, a horse, of course.
ReplyDeleteMr. Ed.... My all time favorite.... no not really. A boring show, but I liked the tune. I bet your little granddaughter would like that show and the tune. My kids used to love it. :)
Inger and Bea: Mr. Ed was a palomino, and at the time I thought he was the most beautiful horse ever.
DeleteBeutiful post! That's a great video.
ReplyDeleteSarah Allen
(From Sarah, With Joy)
Very interesting post.
ReplyDeleteShawn at Laughing at Life 2
Shawn and Sarah: Glad your enjoyed the post.
DeleteI love Gift of the Sacred Dog. It's a wonderful book.
ReplyDeleteMy students loved the book, as well.
DeleteThis made me think of the Mr. Ed song, and then I saw Manzanita still knew the words too. I couldn't see the video, but the photo is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteJulie
I wonder what happened to the video...?
DeleteJust what does the arrival of these beasts from another land mean?
ReplyDeleteHello from the A-Z challenge. Are you going through the entire letter two letters at a time, in two-parters? That's a novel approach, as it were.
There's nothing quite like the experience of seeing a mustang running free!
ReplyDeleteI want to see wild horses someday. From a distance, of course.
ReplyDeleteSonia Lal
They are stunning creatures. My partner however believes them to be malevolent. He says that if you go to the scene of a single vehicle accident in the country you will always find a horse (or two) in the paddocks close by. His theory is that they leap out of the paddocks in front of the car - the driver swerves and has an accident and the horses jump back into their paddock and innocently crop grass. (Can you tell he is afraid of them?)
ReplyDeleteHorses are wonderful creatures. One thing I wish is that I could learn how to ride. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing about this noble animal!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this lovely post about the 'big dogs' of the American West. for a time I owned a beautiful Mustang - her name Cisco. She now lives with friends on a ranch in Idaho.
ReplyDelete