Wednesday, April 27, 2011

W is for...

Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show
When I saw commercials promoting the upcoming Westminster Dog Show, I got excited.  I pointed them out to my husband, and explained how I enjoyed watching the different breeds and the judging.

 My husband snorted in disgust.  “You really wanta watch that stuff?” he said derisively.  “That’s just plain boring.”  Then he turned his attention back to a DVR recording of a repeat showing of a 2006 World of Poker competition.  “See that?  Just watch, now, ‘cause Mike the Mouth has a pocket queen, and the river card is another queen.  See?”  He smiled triumphantly, vicariously enjoying the excitement of the win.  “Next, Brunson will…” 

Best of Show 2011: Scottish Deer Hound
By then I had ceased to listen; a switch in my brain had gone to the Off position.                                                      

Why can’t he see what I see?  The best of each breed in their category will be paraded around the arena and a judge who is a world-class expert in a particular category will examine each dog.  An announcer will tell the TV audience about the peculiarities and history of that breed.  Then the dog handler will trot the dog around the arena while the camera follows each move, each expression the dog makes.  All that is seen of the handler are the legs and shoes—the focus is on the dog and how utterly beautiful he/she is.

If I was on a desert island with electricity, a TV, and a few DVDS (Olympic Figure Skating 2010, 2004 World of Poker Las Vegas, Highlights of Super Bowls 2004- 2010, and Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show 2011),  and could chose only one to watch, Westminster would win, hands down.  No competition.

Thank you, Arlee Bird and Team, for hosting this A-Z Blogfest.  Please check the link below to see the other blog entries.  Woof!
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com 



12 comments:

  1. No offence, but with a collection of DVDs like that on a desert island (with electricity?) I might just feed myself to the sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I am obsessed with the WKC dog show. I've been to it 3 years in a row. You have to go to the live show some time. In addition to watching the show, you can go backstage and pet ALL THE DOGS. It's crazy. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

    I wrote some posts about it too :-)

    http://www.melissasarno.com/2009/02/133rd-westminster-kennel-club-show.html

    http://www.melissasarno.com/2011/02/135th-westminster-kennel-club-dog-show.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I love to watch the dog shows too. I like your question... "Why can't he see what I see?" My answer: "Cause he's a man, honey." You each need your own TV. My husband and I never agreed to watch the same thing..... never. He watched sports all the time and 2 TV's made for a good marriage. Ha.
    Manzanita
    Wanna buy a duck

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, thanks for your visit and comment on my blog. I would think seeing the lava flow on Kilauea from a cruise ship would be awesome!

    I've only been able to see the Westminster show on TV once (because we don't have TV) but it was great and I'd love to watch it every year. It and the Olympics would be the only reason I would ever want to have TV and that isn't a strong enough reason!

    Sharon
    http://grandmaisawriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so much fun! I love seeing the dogs with their owners. It's awesome wondering why certain people pick specific breeds. :)

    On a side note: I just had to tell you that there have been so many days when your posts and comments have just brightened my day. Thank you so much for being such a sweetheart--you're a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful W post, the pics are superb.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This puts me in mind of the movie Best in Show. Your dog pix are great.

    I'm stopping by on the A-Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy watching the dog show too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you! Dog show beats reruns of poker games any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the show, too. There was a regional dog show here in my town and it was the first (and only) time I saw a Chinese Crested up close and personal. I chatted with the owner and he was very happy to talk about his dog. This is a strange breed but to each his own. Ever see "Best in Show"? A funny parody of dog shows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to my first local show this year and I was amazed. It was fascinating to see multiples of all these exotic dogs in one place. And they were all so well-behaved!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for following my blog. I'm as Malaysian as can be!!I would love to catch a dog show and see them parading. What dog is that on the first picture ? - he/she is sashaying like a model!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!