Friday, April 29, 2011

Y is for...

One would think that a girl living on a farm, surrounded with procreating animals followed later by animals giving birth would have a down-to-earth understanding of sex and how things work.  I believe that is what normally should happen.  However, on my father’s farm, my sister and I were kept away from all the “action”.  Why, I don’t know.  I think the whole sex thing embarrassed my dad, and he preferred that animals copulating remain a mystery.

Words fail me.
Even so, there are hormones that won’t be denied.  While I didn’t comprehend the how and where of sex, I sure understood that I wanted to know.  There was something that went beyond just smiling and gazing at the boys, but I just didn’t have a clue what that was.  I knew that when Dr. Kildare was on TV, both my mother and I sat down and paid attention to every word he said.  While I was in this beginning stage of yearning for that unspoken action, I watched “The Ten Commandments” on television. 

No, it wasn’t Charleton Heston who pulled me in through the television screen.  It was Yul Brynner.  

I can not explain it to you, but something about the intensity of his eyes, the seductive prowling walk, the powerful exotic voice, and the commanding dominating presence…the way his hands reached for the woman, and how his mouth devoured…whew, is it hot in here or is it just me??

Yes, my King!  Whatever you say!
Since those beginning yearning/lustful stirrings, I obsessed on all things-Yul Brynner.  Any movie that had his name in the credits, any newspaper or magazine cutting, or even other bald headed men (except for Telly Savalas), I was hooked.  This obsession continued throughout my life, I confess.

In 1975, when I was eight months pregnant with our first child, my husband and I went to see Yul Brynner (sigh) performing in “The Odyssey” in Los Angeles.  All during the performance, while having Braxton-Hicks contractions, I kept my eyes glued on him.
Years later, in October 1984, we sat in orchestra row 5, seats D and E, where we watched a matinee performance of “The King and I” in Hollywood.  We were sooo close to the stage; I could make out every detail of his face, the ripple of muscles in his arms, the…oh, my.  Turn on the fan, somebody.
The Magnificent Seven
Even though Yul Brynner died on October 10, 1985, and I am a grandmother, I still watch his movies and sigh at the enigmatic sexual power he possessed.  I wonder if all people have an iconic figure that is integral in the coming of age awareness which happens with hormones.   Hmmm…I will ask around…
Thanks to the A-Z Blogfest team, who have bravely taken on the month of April!  Go to the link below to check out other blogs!
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com 




12 comments:

  1. Well in the words of Ralph Kramden from the Honeymooners....HUMMANNA HUMMANNA HUMMANNA! You have made me see Y.B. in a whole other light! LOL. Great post. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you were/are Yearning for Yul. He was kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your Y letter post, brings back many memories,

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yul Brynner definitely had that certain something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think so. For me, it was the volleyball scene in Top Gun. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Pk, the volleyball scene in Top Gun was very enlightening ;)

    After seeing The Ten Commandments recently, I can see why you were so smitten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa - that first picture looks like a movie clip from Spartacus! Very Roman indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Yul was Champ of the Hollywood Hunk fest. You have good taste. For me it's Russell Crowe in Gladiator...

    ReplyDelete
  9. bust it out, he was the king... well he played one on the telly.
    A to Z Blog Challenge Participant
    Jeremy [iZombie]
    izombielover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd nearly forgotten about Yul. Think about that name. So unique. Yes, his eyes rivited you didn't they? Love him. He was the first guy to make bald heads sexy.

    Thanks for visiting my Y for Ypres post.

    Denise<3

    A - Z - Y

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I never knew the Pharoh was the same guy from the King and I. Too funny! And he is definitely way more handsome than Heston.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He was one of my favourite actors, there was a film where he was a special robot that kept trying to kill this guy not sure of the title..loved his walk:)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!