Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D is for Diverge

Robert Frost is a poet who influenced my generation, and certainly many generations.  He was the poet who introduced me to poetry, when he recited a poem at the inauguration of President John F. Kennedy.  I was in fourth grade, a voracious reader, but not a reader of poetry.

Grandma Peck had a book case of very old books on all topics.  She had been a pharmacist, in 1916; she was the only female in a class of 100 men.  Her books were heavy, and with very dry content in my nine-year old opinion.  But, she pulled out some well worn books of poetry:  Kipling, Wordsworth, Dickinson, and of course, Frost.  It was as if she had lighted a fire under me, and I devoured the poetry.

Unfortunately, time and short-circuits have prevented my brain from pulling the words out of my brain on command.  I can only remember bits, but they are flavorful bits. Thankfully, the computer can do the recalling for me, most of the time.
Frost wrote about walking in the woods on a fall day:

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5  

Then took the other, as just as fair,
 And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        10  

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
 I doubted if I should ever come back.        15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and
I— I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.        20  

Whatever my age, and no matter how the next few years evolve, I will continue to thank Mr. Frost for the value of paths that “…diverge in a yellow wood…” and taking a path less traveled by.  It has made all the difference.
 Please check out the blogspot below; Arlee Bird and his crazy crew are hosting this A-Z blog, and you will want to see other entries.  They are awesome!
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com 

7 comments:

  1. I love that poem, too. The idea of roads diverging and taking the road less travelled is something that inspires me so much in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem too. I recited it at my 8th grade graduation. It held so much meaning for me then and it still does today.
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been too long since I read Frost. Thank you for sharing. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Robert Frost on "D" Day! I really am glad I took the time to read the poem fully for the first time in years. Following via A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't hear that poem and not think of a play I was in during high school. It was just a small line in the play, but that is what stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Robert Frost!!!! And his poems. You made me smile-it brought back lots of good memories!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!