Thursday, April 7, 2011

F is for...

F is for….well, it was hard to limit my thoughts on this one.  I am using the ‘shotgun’ affect, so please bear with me.

What a legend!
Roberta Flack is the voice of the early days of our marriage.  She is an amazing artist with so much credential in her life.  She studied classical piano at the age of 15, and was accepted into Howard University.  She changed her studies from piano to voice.  Ms. Flack graduated from the university as age 19.  She went onto be the first African-American student teacher in an all-white school near Chevy Chase, MD.

Ms. Roberta Flack has sung all genres of music, but I remember her best for her first big break into music when Clint Eastwood chose her music to be played in “Play ‘Misty’ for Me”.  Then she won awards for “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” in 1972.  Her next big song was “Killing Me softly with His Song” in 1973.  Amazing person, talented artist is Roberta Flack.  That is why F is for ‘Flack’.
He was really handsome, and witty.

Now, a complete leap of whatever, F is for a character on the M*A*S*H series, Colonel Flagg, played by actor Edward Winter.  Col. Flagg was the original GI Joe of the CIA back in the time period of the Korean War.  Mr. Winter nailed the persona perfectly with all the swagger, steely-eyed stare, awesome good-looks, and lingo of his character.  Flagg could take a bullet, dig it out with his own GI Joe-type knife, and sew it up—all without a grimace or a word.  Flagg liked to leave without being noticed, and assumed all sorts of disguises.  I loved that character, because he was such a contrast to Alan Alda’s ‘Hawkeye’.  Colonel Flagg was an awesome foil, from whom many humorous situations developed.  That is why F is for ‘Flagg’.

These two people both represent a time in my life when I was just discovering adulthood, as a young married woman.  Roberta Flack was singing all about love.  Col. Flagg represented the turmoil that surrounded my generation and the War (Korean or Vietnam). 

Again, thanks, Arlee Bird and his awesome crew!  His URL is:
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com 




12 comments:

  1. I LOVE Roberta Flack; her voice is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Robert Flack too! My parents used to watch Mash when I was really little and I would be playing in the living room. I never understood the show at that age. Would be fun to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being reminded of things in the past. Thank you for helping me revisit both the artist and the character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, those songs have an amazing effect at that stage of life. Pity mine were all about a slushy kind of love that I was too young to realise was not helpful. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A real treat this, How well I remember Roberta singing "The First Time I Ever I Saw Your Face"
    such a song such a singer,
    Thank you,and well done.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it ;) Aren't memories such wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little trip down memory lane does the heart good, and Roberta Flack was something else. What a voice! Great F post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew all those songs w/out knowing anything about who sang them.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I have never heard of her music will have to check it out. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roberta Flack- amazing set of pipes! thanks for the trip down memory labe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks for your wonderful comment ....brought tears to my eyes,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!