Wednesday, April 6, 2011

E is for

E is for Eglantine Price and Prof. Emilius Brown, from the movie "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".

This Disney movie came out in 1971, with Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson playing magically inclined spinster and bachelor during the London blitz, 1941.  the book was written by Mary Norton, and is vaguely related to the movie.  Perhaps what we (parents with our young children) liked about it was that the music was engaging, the magic very fluffy, and the depressive subject of bombings and death are all skimmed over, with the lead characters being so totally charming.
Totally silly and fun! 

The name 'Eglantine' stuck in my memory for over 30 years.  I have found myself singing the one line I know:  "Eglantine, Eglantine! Oh how you shine...!"  Professor Emilius Brown sings this song twice in the movie.  First time, he is trying to talk Miss Eglantine Price into throwing her skill in magic with his scamming, and they would have success is a dark time.  She rejects the idea out of hand.  The second time, Prof. Brown is at a train stop, realizing that he has been a sleazebag all his life, and that Eglantine is a true person of integrity.  He sings the song, with a sense of love.
Perhaps that is why I enjoyed this movie so much.  It was not so much the fun-stuff, or the silliness, but it was the relationship that evolved from one thing to another.  That is what I am doing--always evolving, changing.  This A-Z blogfest has allowed me to examine this on-going evolution.
E is for Eglantine, Emilius, and Evolution!

 Here's to Arlee Bird!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com





6 comments:

  1. I know this movie so well! I adore Angela Lansbury and this movie is just so much fun. The songs, the cartoons, the plot, her green smoke spewing motorcycle!

    Now I've got Eglantine on my mind!
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that movie. I'm going to have to see if I can find it to watch with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How well I remember the movie, loved Angela Lansbury. thanks for the memories.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten all about this movie, a great classic. Fun word for the day, looking forward to stalking you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this movie, but it sounds fun. Maybe I'll track it down. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this movie! Traguna macoyties, tracorum satis dee!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!