Monday, April 11, 2011

The letter “I” is for…IF

Rudyard Kipling
The word “IF” is a word fraught with possibilities—past, present, and future.  This word is almost connected in some way to “THEN” in terms of reasoning.  The word suggests that something else might have happened, or might happen, or will possibly happen. 

In ways, this word is a sorrowful word when used in the past tense, proposing that the outcome of something undesirable might have been avoided.  Yet, the word also leads to possible wonderful outcomes.  The word “IF” is a remarkably useful word.

Rudyard Kipling liked it so much that he wrote his famous poem IF, which I won’t quote or print out for you.  Mathematicians like it a lot.  Moms use it all the time, “If you eat  all the broccoli, then…”  Rocket scientists use it, too.

Sadly, I have used it too often.  “If only I had…If I hadn’t…”  The word opens a whole bag of regrets and bad memories. 

Now, fortunately, I am using the word in present and future tenses more and more.  “If I use this word…If I try this instead…”

Yes, the word IF is one very busy word.
 Many thanks to the A-Z Blogfest Crew!  You may link up at the following address:

13 comments:

  1. If I had a dime for every time I used the word if...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If" is both awful and wonderful all in the same sentence, isn't it?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could save time in a bottle ....

    I love the word "if" because it denotes so many possibilities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great word for 'I'! I've never thought about it too much, but I do use 'if' a lot, especially with my daughter. 'If you do this... or If you don't...'
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always taught that the word IF is a little word with a big meaning.

    Loved the post,

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If" can be sad indeed, but it can be such a big word that opens doors as well as minds. This is a wonderful post.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never realized how much "if" and "then" are connected. This post really got me thinking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the word IF, IF it's used in terms of a possible future. If...then.... I don't quite like If, when it's used before the word only. I feel like it's too sad and full of regret.great meeting you through the a-z!
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes - we mathematicians DO love the word if. :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed, "If" is a very busy word. It can bring hope or cause despair. Such a short and yet useful word. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right: IF is a busy word!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much can be wrapped up into one small word.
    gigglelaughcry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I hadn't joined the Blog Challenge, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of reading this inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!