Saturday, April 30, 2011

Z is for...

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….

Back in 1983, my husband John and I went on “Date Night” to see a movie, called “Terms of Endearment”.  Not knowing much about the film except its strong acting cast, we thought it would be excellent.  Which it was, of course; it won best film, best actress, best supporting actress, and maybe best director. 

Shirley MacLaine plays a strong-willed, vain mother whose daughter, played by Debra Winger, develops cancer.  Ms. MacLaine is helped through this horrific experience by her neighbor, played by Jack Nicholson.  Mr. Nicholson plays a former astronaut, who is thrown into helping this family during this heart-wrenching time.  Jeff Daniels plays Debra's unfaithful, but likable husband.

Heart-wrenching, sobbing-tears, and nose-blowing.  That is what half the theater was doing during the entire movie, once Ms. Winger’s character goes into the hospital.  Oh, I was probably the noisiest and most prolific when it came to the sobbing and blowing.  All my tissue, which was an ample supply, disappeared into a sodden mess in the empty popcorn container. 

Half the theater, did I say?  Yes, all the women in the theater were crying buckets of tears.  The men?  A few of them had moist eyes, discreetly wiped; my husband was one of them.

During the biggest scene of all, when Ms. Winger’s character is in the last moments of breathing, and silence reigned in the dark theater, there was a sound.  It cut through the air like a buzz-saw in a timbered forest.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…snort, snark, and hiss…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The source of the sound was behind me, and I turned to see a man in his 50s.  He was completely asleep, head thrown back, mouth open, and arms crossed.  The buzz-saw sound was erupting from his slack mouth.  His wife saw me watching him, along with every woman in a twenty foot radius.  She gave him an elbowing that must have bruised straight to the ribs.  He jumped up, saying, “What?  What?  Where?”

As Ms. MacLaine welcomed the grandchildren into her home, and we were supposed to be prostrate on the movie floor, sobbing with grief among sticky popcorn, we instead were busting with laughter. 

I guess every tragedy needs some comedy.
A big THANKS goes to the A-Z Blog Team!  Check out the link below:
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com
 


13 comments:

  1. He provided some comic relief. We can all use that in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a funny story and I'm usually the one who falls asleep....I can't help it I m sitting...in the dark... and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. It usually happens ten minutes into the movie. great post. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the read, Congrats in completing the challenge,also the support you have given me.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is must have been hilarious, congratulations for getting through the challenge! stay blessed, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, we did it! Congratulations! I have an award for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the title of the movie can bring me to tears. So I thought your post would make me cry and instead I'm laughing. Thank you!

    Congratulations on finishing the challenge! I've had so much fun visiting your blog this month! I plan to be a regular visitor now that the challenge is over too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great irony :) I love laughter.


    P.S. I need to watch that show now. I've never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was quite funny!

    And I thought you were the one falling asleep, weary from the Challenge, like many of us do.

    Nice to have met you through this Challenge, Susan. Have a great weekend.

    Grandpa
    Life on The Farm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny story! At least the woman had her husband come with her (and you too)! My husband cannot sit still to watch movies.

    The Write Soil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Horray for comic relief! (husband has fallen alseep at the movies before its hilarious) Congrats on making it through the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on finishing the challenge! That story is hilarious. I like that part of the experience of seeing the movie wasn't on screen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You found an interesting way to add some comedy into the picture. Congratulations on finishing the challenge!

    The Madlab Post

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, that's funny. How embarrassing for that wife!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!