A to Z 2014

While I would love to leave a follow-up comment after each reader's comment, it can't happen. There are over 2,000 participants! So I will visit your sites instead and think really good thoughts, okay?
Susan Kane

Monday, April 18, 2011

"O" is for...


The dictionary is one of the favorite bound books in my house.  I have always randomly looked for interesting words.  That, of course, made me a bit of an oddity in rural environments.  I looked for the words with the most syllables, words with the fewest vowels, words that had a Latin base, etc.  But I never looked for the words that scared me the most.

Through intense research and years of child-experience, I have found the ONE word that absolutely sends chills through me.  It is the word, “OOPS!”  Its close cousin is OH, NO!”, and a first cousin-once-removed is “UH-OH!”
                                                                                                                            
I can feel you all nodding, because you understand.  Anytime someone says either of those words, and it is heard from another room, a variety of images pop up.  An old vase inherited from a great-grandmother, who received it from Queen Victoria?  On the floor in pieces, and your cat saunters away.  The Hans Solo limited edition something-or-other?  The four-year old boy leaves in a blur, as he runs out the room, a leg in each hand.  The fantastic Italian veal something that you spent a fortune of time and money on, and which you are taking to a very important dinner in five minutes right after you change your clothes?  Spilled all over the living room carpet, by some one who thought he/she would help you by loading it in the car, since you are fifteen minutes late and he/she is really pissed off at you for taking so long.

Or, how about this?  You just spent a few hours on a re-write of a re-write, creating a query letter to the publisher, who expressed extreme interest in your writing.  You hear the famous “OOPS!” and rush in to find your coffee spilled over the keyboard, sparks flying, and the computer crashing, while your teary-eyed child/grandchild/spouse/casual friend/beloved friend/neighbor  looks blankly up at you.

Oh, yes.  Forget about names of monsters, diseases, horrific imagined events.  On the everyday level, where we usually operate, the scariest word of all is “OOPS!”
 Many thanks to Arlee Bird and his awesome crew of fellow bloggers.  Please go to the following to check out other posts!

13 comments:

  1. It's true! Try a two hour drive to a parents home on Christmas Eve to celebrate the holiday with an overnight stay. During unpacking you discover that your husband removed the magical Santa sock (filled) in order to pack his items and left it on the floor of the bedroom at home. Ooooops!!! Guess who had a fun four hour round trip to pick up what he so callously left behind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful,I though it a very good O write. Had much pleasure reading it.

    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The other day I was biking over a bridge and there was a lot of construction going on. As I passed the construction area one of the workers said 'oops!' I never biked so fast over that bridge in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are soo awesome! I LOVE your blog AND the words Oops :) I so enjoy visiting your blog while I drink my morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D I know what you mean! For me, the phrase "I'll be careful" sends chills down my spine because my three year old says it a lot and it's usually followed closely by crying, tears and a boo-boo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely the scariest word ever! I've started using the phrase "May Day, May Day, We're going down" from the movie "Grand Canyon" when Kevin Kline's car breaks down in a bad neighborhood and gangsters are coming over to "give him a hand."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comment I am so please you like Daniel O Donnells singing.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops is definitely a scary word . . . it's so hard to know if the problem/accident was huge or minor.

    Great "O" post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious and true "oops!" sends chills down my spine, and is usually accompanied by a hit to my wallet! :)Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO true! The less I hear that word, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm pretty sure 'oops' covered the discussion my hubby and I had each time we 'planned' to have children. Oops can end well :)
    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful "O" post! The "----" word scares me so much, I'm afraid to write it, from fear of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

    On a more positive note, I'm awarding you the "Stylish Blogger Award!" Come pick it up @ my blog when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For me, absolute silence is much scarier than the obvious "oops!"
    It's usually followed by me asking, "What are you girls doing?"
    And the answer is always, "Nothing!" -- sometimes spoken through an obvious mouthful of food or accompanied by the sounds of running.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!