Tuesday, April 12, 2011

J is for...

Jetsons!  Meet the Jetsons!

 
“J” is for…Jetsons

f you are a fan of Hanna-Barbera cartoons, then you have watched all the simply drawn, repetitive, and yet charming representatives of a different time.  I remember “the Flintstones” and waiting to see what Fred and Wilma named the baby—Pebbles! 
No one ever listened to him.
I'll never know what she saw in him. 
 

Then there was “Yogi Bear” whose incessant needs for pic-a-nic baskets frustrated poor little Boo-Boo.  I identified with Boo-Boo; Yogi would have done much better foodwise if he had stuck to the usual bear diet of berries, carrion, and fish. 

Oh, the life of the future family~
There were others, of course.  But the one that I actually enjoyed the most was “The Jetsons” where the future was automated, and oh-so-much-easier than my life on the farm.  If they wanted dinner, Rosie the Robot just pushed some buttons and out came a full-on feast; then Rosie did the dishes.  Meanwhile, I was peeling potatoes while Mom fried chicken, and making all the other elements of a farm family dinner.  The dishes were mountain of work for a family of seven.

The Jetsons  had the same problems that faced all of humanity.  Work.  Transportation.  Harsh and unrealistic bosses.  Teen-agers angst.  What to wear.  Remembering important anniversaries and birthdays.  The list is the same for the Jetsons as it is for us mere humans who still have to peel potatoes and wash dishes.

But, watching the Jetsons was an escape for this once-teenage girl.   

14 comments:

  1. How the Flintsones bring back happy memories. They were on TV just before I got married. Now a widow you have made my day, Thank you.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just telling my kids how I watched them every morning before school. Loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a lot closer to the Jetson life style now....you can buy peeled and chopped potatoes...precooked frozen fried chicken....no need to cook. Put your dishes in the dishwsasher. Not bad, we're getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grew up with these guys :) They don't make cartoonslike they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up on these cartoons! So much fun! I remember coloring these characters in color books. I always loved to color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome nostalgic post. I loved the Jetsons growing up. And the pictures are classic. And nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids watch The Jetsons every morning. It brings me right back to my girl days. Loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the Hanna-Barbera cartoons! I especially liked the movie where the Jetsons and Flintstones meet in Bedrock because Elroy built a time machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I rarely watched cartoons as a child, but I loved The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and Yogi Bear. You hit my top 3. The only other ones I remember watching were Mighty Mouse and Mickey Mouse. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, that takes me back! I haven't seen the jetsons in SO LONG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will still watch The Jetsons if I see them as an option on TV. My daughter, who is 11, also really likes the Jetsons.
    gigglelaughcry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this! Hanna-Barbera is awesome :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the Jetsons too; I really, really wanted to go around on moving walkways!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!