Thursday, April 28, 2011

X is for


X is for…
There is a dearth of X words in the dictionary, truly a lacking of words that begin with “X”.  But, moving beyond the alphabet and into the metaphorical or metaphysical, whatever, X has some real possibilities.

Think about this:  I print out my newest addition to the WIP, and then hold that paper in my hands.  I pace around my abode and read this brilliant writing aloud, while marking in missing words, taking out mistakes.  I also circle large sections, and with my marker, decisively put a big bold “X” through that section.  Ta-Duh!  In the world of blood, sweat and tears’ writing, “X” denotes a big change.  It cries out “This no longer applies!” 

Then, of course, there is the treasure map, where “X” indicates where the treasure has been buried by pirates.   So many movies have been made about pirates and treasure, that it is truly nauseating.  I don’t care if Johnny Depp is absolutely gorgeous.  “Captain Blood” with Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, and Basil Rathbone?  I will watch that any day, any time. 

“X” is not locked into position, like, say the letter “A”.  “X” can be rotated, flipped over, put on its side—and it is still the same letter.  There is something of immutability with the letter “X”.

“X” was chosen by the movie raters to denote a movie that should never be seen by anyone who has an ounce of good taste and moral fiber.

I think that is all I want to write about “X” at this time, but I definitely have explored some of this letter’s uses.
The Awesome A to Z Blogfest was created by Arlee Bird, and his crew of talented bloggers!  Please go to the link below to access other sites!  Huzzah, me hardees!

7 comments:

  1. Good work. X was not easy but it looks like we are all rising to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "X” is not locked into position, like, say the letter “A”. “X” can be rotated, flipped over, put on its side—and it is still the same letter. There is something of immutability with the letter “X”.

    I've never thought about X that way! Great point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your X letter post. only two more to go , my hasn't this challenge gone quick?

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really an interesting post, my friend. Some X words in the dictionary aren't pronounceable, but you've come up with the perfect solution. The one perspective that I think is most interesting is the fact that X remains X no matter how you rotate it. This is something my disabled daughter might think of, but not me!

    Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment on my crossroad post. Yes, I need to drop by your place more often!
    Ann Best, Memoir Author

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like X was a bit of a struggle. I don't think I've dropped by during the challenge. Who knows? Such a ride!

    My X is for Xi'an in China on my L'Aussie Travel Blog. Hope you can take a peek.

    Denise<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great X post! I loved how you dissected it. X was a toughy. I still haven't decided anything for Z. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!