Tuesday, November 29, 2011


Sunshine!

Our granddaughter, Sunshine, continues to be a fount of wisdom, a source of great insight.  With her clear view of ‘what should be’, Sunshine gives us all a reasoned out perspective on almost anything

Want a unique view of space and the universe?  Read ‘Sunshine and the Solar System’.

Struggling with unruly spontaneous children?  Read ‘Sunshine and Self-Control’.

Ever wonder why one has eaten enough broccoli or meatloaf, and yet, has room for ice cream?  Sunshine has been explaining that to us.

I had fixed a great baked ziti dinner complete with green salad, garlic bread, and dessert.  I had worked most of two hours on it, which also included doing yesterday’s dishes while the girls cleaned the TV room. 

The delicious smell of Italian food and copious amounts of garlic greeted my son-in-law and then my daughter when they came home from work.  The table was set by the girls, my husband had filled the water glasses—dinner was ready.

With great flourish we all sat down to eat.  While the rest of the family dived in to eating, Sunshine pushed her noodles around with her fork, scraping off the sauce and meat.  After just a few bites, she announced that she was full, and ready for dessert.

Mommy handled it well.  “Sunshine, you have to eat your salad and noodles.  No, no more bread!  No, you can’t have a second glass of milk.”  The ‘No’ went on for a while.

Sunshine burst out, “But, Mommy!  The noodle and salad side of my tummy are full!”   
Courtesy of Bing.com:  Apparently this is a common belief.
She pulled up her shirt and explained how her stomach was divided in to compartments.  Over here was the noodle compartment, and it was way full; over there was the salad compartment, and it also was going to blow up.  The bread side could use another slice or two, and the milk side was virtually dry.

Since then, Sunshine has used this compartmental stomach claim many times.  She never wins, but I do believe there is some truth to her claims.  


Bring on the dessert, Sunshine.  I am with you.

10 comments:

  1. hahaha a good philosophy to have. I always went with the more direct route and gave it to the dog..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you need to give me a daily dose of sunshine. I just love your posts about her. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant start to my day. There is no sunshine here today let alone Sunshine, so I smiled very broadly. I recognise that stomach too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart girl I like her theory! The drawing is adorable :O)
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what wonderful fun to have such a wise and wonderful young lady sharing your world. Loved this post, and the other earlier ones, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Susan,
    It's 8 pm now and I've just started reading blogs. And whose do I read first but your posting about Sunshine. Oh, thank you for the belly laugh of this paragraph: "She pulled up her shirt and explained how her stomach was divided in to compartments. Over here was the noodle compartment, and it was way full; over there was the salad compartment, and it also was going to blow up. The bread side could use another slice or two, and the milk side was virtually dry." I still have a smile on my face.

    I read the other two postings about Pluto and about Sunshine searching for her identity!!!!! and being just a little, just a little mind you--naughty!
    I love it. She's a delight. Thank you for sharing her specialness with me.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at life through the eyes of a child...thank you! Just one of the many reasons I've nominated you for the 'My Blog Is Great!" award! Come over to mamawolfe and see what you won! http://mamawolfe-living.blogspot.com/2011/11/sassy-lady-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way kids think! Don't grandparents have just the most fun?
    Thanks for doing the happy dance with me. UC can be such a struggle to control. I feel truly blessed.
    Thanks again!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!