Monday, November 14, 2011

Back from the Buckeye State

And heeeeerrree’s….Susan (the contemplative cat)!

I have been in the Buckeye State, or Ohio, to visit family.  I have forgotten how beautiful the Midwest is just before the cold weather sets in.  (People were putting up Christmas lights, and I realized that this was wise, as there would soon be torrents of rain and cold wind.)  

 My sister took me to see her favorite places and stores.  She also took me to Mr. Purdue’s Taekwando dojo; she has a blackbelt, and I am so very proud of her.  This is a long story, but I will tell it only when she gives me permission! 

 All in all, it was a great trip.

So, it feels like I am starting all over again.  I will have a new post later today. 

It feels so good to be home, and typing, once again.


On Mr. Purdue's philosophy:

Our Philosophy?
Ever see the old movies where the Instructor barks and yells like a drill sergeant?  I could teach that way if I wanted.  In fact, I used to. But I don't anymore.
I am as serious as the next instructor about what I want from my students.  I want them to push themselves to improve in all aspects of the art.  I expect nothing less than a student's best effort and for my students to show expertise and skill consummate with their training level.  I firmly believe that this can be done in a fun atmosphere where students can enjoy coming to class. The more students enjoy class, the more they will come to class.  I am not the best teacher.  Time and repetition are the best teachers.  What I do is make it fun, so the real teachers get the job done.

You must check out this site!

4 comments:

  1. Great philopshy and yeah putting up lights when it's warmer is a great rule to live by too, much less hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed your visit back east. As beautiful as California is, there really is not that splendor of fall that we here experience.

    Not ready to put up those lights yet. We are trying to put off all thoughts of the cold weather and ignoring the inevitable. So far this month, we have been having spring in late fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Susan,
    Like you, when I taught I had a philosophy. It was not as detailed as yours but it worked for me. It was always to build community in the classroom. When that happened and everyone was rooting for everyone else in the room then we accomplished many great things.

    Your philosophy seems so wise and worthwhile to me. It encompasses an inspiring love of teaching and learning.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!