A to Z 2014

While I would love to leave a follow-up comment after each reader's comment, it can't happen. There are over 2,000 participants! So I will visit your sites instead and think really good thoughts, okay?
Susan Kane

Monday, November 21, 2011

I confess...

Colorado, but it is a beautiful Valley; Psalms 23


Okay, I will admit this up front:  I read the Obituary page in the newspaper. 

Most people don’t readily confess to this, as it has a sense of morbidity about it.  But, I am willing to bet a whole white chocolate macadamia cookie that many readers do at least glance at that page.

Maybe it is my age.  I will be sixty years old, although my brain insists I am still thirty-seven.  The primary cause of death in my age range is random.  Women—cancer of some sort, usually breast cancer.  Men—heart attacks and cancer.  Any age—automobile accidents or violence. 

So, I look at the obits and see if I know anyone there.  So far, so good.  Strangers, all of them. 

But every now and then, there will be a tiny obit about a tiny life.  It takes my breath away, and then I read the simple words:  born one minute, lived a short time, and then gone.  So much said in such a few words.

The movie plays in my head, slowly and I can see every moment.  First, the labor and the efforts of the mother.  Then the joy of that moment when the doctor says, “It’s a ----!”  The silence that follows as the room becomes a whirlwind of doctors and nurses, running to NCU with the struggling newborn.  The mother and father cry, calling questions, “Wait!  What is wrong---?”  Then there is the moment when the doctor walks slowly back to the parents.

And that is the moment where I turn off the movie in my head, and feel horrific sorrow.

A new book has been published: The Golden Sky by EC Stilton.  This book is about all those moments, all those struggles, and the silences when Zeke dies after a short life of 2 ½ months.  Go to Elisa’s site to read and listen.  The book was released November 18, 2011.  

The Golden Sky Book Launch and iPad2 Giveaway

 If you or someone you know has been through those moments, this book is a healing book.  It celebrates the short life and reminds the reader to rejoice always, even in the face of sorrow.

11 comments:

  1. Dear Susan,
    What an intriguing way to introduce Elisa's memoir about Zeke to your readers. This book has already drawn so many of us into the blessings of his life.

    And thank you, Susan, also for commenting on my recent posting. You said "What a beautiful way of describing revelation of your destiny." Those words--which I'd never thought of myself--are so apt. Because that was what was happening. Or at least that's how I was interpreting it.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I{ don't even read a newspaper, so no obits for me. Great way to plug her book too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I read the obits and the first thing I do is to check the ages of those who died. I always feel better when I see that those who have passed on are older than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course I check it, and, once I know for sure I'm not listed there, I can get on with my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elisa's book has been getting a lot of great publicity, and I suspect it deserves it. It's sounds excellent, and is on my TBR list.

    I also admit that I look at the Obits every day, online for the city where I grew up--to see if I know anyone. They also put up obits of famous people. I used to get the obit news from my mother, but when she died in 2003, I was on my own!

    It IS sad for the parents when an infant dies, and this lead-in to the book by Elisa is very good, Susan.
    Ann Best, Memoir Author

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,
    How can I ever thank you! You're so sweet.

    I LOVE how you led into this. My parents read the obits. They even read them from other towns. I asked my mom and they've found out about four people who have passed away. :( All high school friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a review - intelligent and beautifully clever. Thank you!

    I don't receive any newspapers, but if one comes through my hands, I head for the obits! Don't think its age in my case, I have down it for years. To be honest, I have an interest in, and have volunteered in, the 'Death Industry' for many years.

    @Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe:
    If there is a young-ish looking picture, I check the person's age - usually to find out it is just a young-ish picture of an older person!


    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful and intriguing review. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I had my son they wheeled me passed the nursery and outside the in the corridor was a Dad on the phone trying to explain to someone what was going on with his baby. The baby was
    alive but needed to stay in the hospital. I couldn't imagine leaving without my child. so sad. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever way to introduce the book! Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also read obituaries. Fascinating, sad, heart warming. And that was a lovely introduction of the book - thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!