Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Yes, I am sassy....

Sassy Lady Bloggers

Are you sassy enough?


Thank you, Mamawolfe, for nominating me for the ‘Sassy’ Award!  I must tell seven things about myself, and pass the award onto others. 

*In first grade, my teacher kept me after school until it was dark because I refused, and I mean refused to draw a turkey with its tail feathers up and all different colors.  I drew turkey after turkey, each time with its tail feathers down.  I kept telling her that 1) only male turkeys raised their tail feathers, and 2) they were speckled brown.  Seeing wild turkeys most of my six years, I knew this to be the truth.  She finally gave up.

*I once said “Son of a bitch” to my fourth sixth grade teacher.  A boy dared me to say it.  You see, I really didn’t know it was swearing.  My brothers, father, and grandfather said that phrase several times a day.  I didn’t get in trouble, but it was a close call.

*My brother Robert could persuade me to do almost anything.  Once he talked me into cleaning a catfish he had caught.  I had cleaned other fish, but they had scales.  The catfish had to be skinned.  I did it, but never again.

*The only thing I ever shoplifted was an English walnut.  I was four years old, shopping with my mother at our small local grocery store.  I came upon a huge box of these nuts, and each one had a blue diamond stamped on it.  I got so excited.  I took one and ran out to the car where my grandmother (a strict woman, let me tell you) was waiting.  I showed it to her, and she bawled me out.  She marched me inside, made me apologize to the owner, and put the nut back.  You can tell how traumatized I am.

*In fourth sixth grade (obviously a big year) a kind neighbor discovered that I loved art.  She painted in oil, producing lovely stuff.  One day she showed up at our farm house with all sorts of almost empty tubes of oil paint, a variety of brushes, and a “How to Paint” book by John/Jon Gnagy.  Her kindness set my love for art on fire.  I will never forget her.

*When I was a young mother with three children, my husband’s family owned real estate company purchased a hotel in Ireland.  We sold everything we owned, packed up the rest into a crate the side of a small garden shed, and moved to County Cork.  For three + years, we owned and operated the property along with my brother-in-law, Patrick.  Oh, the stories I could tell on that.

*When we returned to California from Ireland, I started/re-started teaching at the age of 37.  Everyone assumed I was very experienced and a ‘master teacher’.  It was the steepest and most exciting learning curve I have ever had to do.  I loved it.

There you go: more than you ever wanted to know about me!  Since this is such a busy time, I will select only a few other sassy writers I know:

American in Bath

P.S.  Please cut and paste the award.  I am inept in these lines.

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations, your blog IS great and you ARE sassy. I had the John Gnagy books of how to draw horses and cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed your blog is great. I cannot, to my sorrow draw. I can appreciate (and do) but I am not a creator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you sassy, sure you made "Son of a Bitch" classy..haha

    Lived in Ireland too, that must have been quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Susan! What an adventure your life has been! Thanks for sharing!
    Also, thanks for stopping by baaaaa to read my post there. Have any of the Christmas specials spoken to you? I'd love to hear about it. :)
    Blessings!
    Pam a www.2encourage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seriously made me chuckle on this one! I had no idea you were such a naughty child, nor that you lived in Ireland. You live you learn huh? Good to know a bit more about you. How is your Mother in law?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the award, this was a fun read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!
    And wanted to let you know those two movies were November releases, so I covered them last month. And I've already seen the Muppets - reviewed it on Monday. Kids or not, I still like kid movies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow those are great snippets of your life. That's hilarious you refused to falsify your turkey. Good for you for standing up for the truth. lol
    And wow hotel in Cork must've been awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings, Susan!

    I really like your blog! For now I'm just stopping by to introduce myself and to get to know you better!

    I'm also a writer- I really enjoy writing poetry!

    Please to be aquianted with another writer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this post. It makes me adore you even more :0) I LOVE the part about the turkey. That sounds like the Scribe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, yes, you are a very sassy and interesting woman. I bet you could write a best seller on your experiences in Ireland running an inn.

    Gosh, Jon/John Gnagy brought back memories. My sister and brother and I always watched his program. He made everything look so easy. I remember how excited we were to get a John Gnagy painting kit. I think (am sure) that we all fought over it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Susan,
    I so enjoyed learning these snippets about your sassiness. I loved leanring that you "stuck to your guns" with regard to that turkey in first grade. Such tenacity boded well for the future!

    And I also took delight in the picture of your own delight when you were four and saw the diamond on the walnut. That picture of you in my mind is endearing.

    Like Arleen, I want to suggest that you consider writing a novel or a book of nonfiction about County Cork and your experiences there. You write with such a flair, and I'd so enjoy reading a full book of your unique vision of life.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, this is so great! I'll second the non-fiction book motion.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A book on our Irish experiences is a bit in the future; need to get "In Preacher's Creek" out there first! But I will put up some photo and story teasers in a short time.
    Arleen--I am sure you all fought over Jon Gnagy supplies; we did.
    Dee--Someday I will do some retrospection about Ireland. Want to return there and renew friendships.
    Pat--what part/county was your home for a while?
    Betty--welcome! I must check your site!
    PK--sometimes my stubbornness worked well for me, other times not. I can still hear the teacher's sigh.
    Alex--sorry, I missed your NOv. movies suggestions. I am personally looking forward to the Pirate movie by the makers of Wallace and Grommet, Chicken Run. When is that one coming??
    Elisa--Good for the Scribe! Always stand tall in the face of adversity!
    Melynda--M-in-law is slowly recovering; may have pneumonia developing, which is not uncommon.
    Trisha--glad you enjoyed this post.
    Sarah--you must visit Ireland someday. I think travel there would be really cheap right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Firstly, I love the word Sassy. Secondly, I love your stories! The first one reminded me a bit of Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird), my favourite heroine for many years. these are wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Susan for your visit and comment, I agree things have to be two sided, but it wasn't two sided when he decided to put me out of his life and deprive me of my grandchildren. I am at a loss for the reason.

    Have a good day,
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!