Friday, November 18, 2011

Ecce Puer by James Joyce

James Joyce's Photograph of Ireland


James Joyce was an Irish writer of great fame.  Some of his works are epic, in the truest sense of the word.
James Joyce tribute in Dublin

He also wrote small tender works, such as the poem below.  This poem talks of the birth of his grandson and the death of his father.  Joyce, being the generation in between, writes of this position.

Of the dark past
A child is born.
With joy and grief
My heart is torn.

Calm in his cradle
The living lies.
May love and mercy
Unclose his eyes.;


Young life is breathed
On the glass;
The world that was not
Comes to pass.

The child is sleeping
The old man gone.
Oh, father forsaken,
Forgive your son.

Life and death--two certain events in one's span.  

On this day, November, a baby died nine years ago.  His mother, Elisa C. Stilson, has published her journal about the struggles of his short life, and how she viewed each day.  A precious book.  A painful book.  A book that speaks of a mother's love and her fight to hold all together.

The Golden Sky Book Launch and iPad2 Giveaway
Click on the image to go to this site for an exciting event: The Golden Sky

10 comments:

  1. The first picture is magical. And, I am glad that Elisa C. no longer hates her son's birthday. Out of tragedy, something new/beautiful has evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful, brought to mind Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother, with her 10th grade education, loved to read great books (by mostly Irish authors). I remember that in her bookshelves were some of the works James Joyce. I especially recall Finagan's Wake and Ulysses.

    The poem by Joyce brought back a nice memory of my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Susan,
    Hasn't it been gleeful to be part of Elisa's reaching out to all of us to share the publication of Zeke's memoir? I'm glad we were both part of it.

    Thank you for sharing the poem by Joyce. I'd never read it.

    I wish you a weekend filled with possibilities.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James Joyce's The Dubliners is my favorite of his. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful poem. Loss is something that's unavoidable, but it breaks my heart to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment here.

    Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog too.

    Thanks for share,

    ¤ Rio Prasetyo ¤

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan,
    Thanks again for all of your support. I can't wait until your wonderful book comes out and I can return the favor :)
    -Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. ontinuously i usrd to read smaller articles
    or reviews which also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this article which I
    am reading now.

    My website - skin care doctors pa [https://Search.gobblin.se/u/ezl97/]

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!