Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sunshine and Self-Control



“I don’t know what came over me…I couldn’t help myself…I don’t know…I don’t know…indistinct sobbing”  (Chorus Line)

Sunshine is our five-year old granddaughter.  Sunshine is free spirited.  She dances when she hears music.  Sunshine speaks her heart.  She gives hugs freely, and cares when others are hurt or sad.  Sunshine thinks everyone is kind and loving, just like she is.  But, oh my, Sunshine, Sunshine.

Lately, we adults have been looking into her glistening blue eyes and hearing these words, spoken over and over in various combinations. (Chorus Line)


Yesterday Sunshine was so happy about the lasagna and fresh French bread, that she hugged that soft loaf of bread nearly in two. (Chorus Line)



At school, Sunshine wrote her name on her own desk.  She wrote it very well and very hard with her pencil.  Sunshine had to stay in from recess to scrub it clean. (Chorus Line)


Mommy went into her bathroom and found two straws floating in the toilet.  The first 1 ½ inches of each straw was fill with a smelly brown substance.  Mommy yelled, “Sunshine!”  She replied, “It was a science experiment!” and then... (Chorus Line)


Sunshine found a Sharpie™ marker and wrote on Mommy’s nice bedroom end table.  She wrote all over it.  Then she moved onto the foot of the bed.  (Chorus Line)


This was on Bing.com, but Sunshine draws like this.

There is so much more in the Sunshine file, but this is all I care to reveal.  It is enough. 







11 comments:

  1. Oh Sunshine... But I love it. I DO NOT want to know more about that science experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every once in a while the sun slips behind a cloud..you know...these are your "Grimm" moments. Sounds like a kids story brewing here. Dr Sunshine and Mr Cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful being the grandmother. It's your turn to smile now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Sunshine doesn't also live with you, a shiny treasure. If she does..........

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL what exactly was the science experiment supposed to prove?

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sounds like quite the character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. And thank you for sharing the joy, and the fear, and the anger and indeed all of it. And hopefully Sunshine will continue to be as open and heart warming as her name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sunshine sounds like a breath of fresh air! You have to love the wonder and excitement, filling her up and making her shine her light all over the place. I love hearing stories about kids who are kids, and allowed to experience the marvel of living and loving and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to add more, but I wanted to thank you for your comments on my recent post. I was dog tired last night, but, also exhilarated, as you mentioned. I really love meeting and chatting with the families, and seeing the students with new eyes. Even the occasional difficult conference leaves me with more wisdom, and greater compassion for the student.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunshine sounds like a hoot! I love looking at life through a child's eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had some sunshine just like this! enJOY your beautiful granddaughter and we all need to remember to see beyond the clouds! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!