Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q is for...Quest


Do you remember any New Year’s Eves when you toasted the old year by saying, “Man! I am sooo glad that one is over!” ?

My worst year?  1999.  No doubt about it, that was the worst year on so many levels.  My 44 year old brother Bill died Dec. 12, 1999.  His death took my breath, my heart, and my sense of balance away from me. 

When we toasted the new Millennium, I was choked with tears, and wished I could have somehow saved Bill with the knowledge I now possessed.

Still, it was the holidays.  As a large group, we and my husband’s family went to see “Galaxy Quest”, just recently released.  The theatre darkened, and the popcorn & soda were going fast.


Suddenly, I was taken out of my blackness into this alien world with Tim Allen, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, and Sigourney Weaver.  Their lives as actors on a defunct TV show, “Galaxy Quest”, had not gone well since its cancellation in 1968 or something.  They made their living by hitting SciFi conventions and even attending ribbon-cutting ceremonies at dinky electronics stores.


Faithful fans like Justin Long believed in the reality of the Galaxy Quest world. 


In the dark theatre, I laughed until tears ran down my face.  Strange how laughter and crying are so close in their physical resemblances.  But, I laughed, rolling in laughter.

Q is for…Quest, Galaxy Quest.  For me, the brave crew and I made a quantum leap together that day.


Sources used for this post:


15 comments:

  1. Tears are cleansing and laughter is healing...what magic when both happen at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many years end with 'thank goodness' and we learn to grow through and live with the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how movies and music can pull you through life events, isn't it? I've never seen Galaxy Quest, but thanks to your post it's now on my list to see. Good luck with the rest of the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some years are tougher than others, but there is always some little thing the comes along and lifts our spirits sooner or later. Enjoyed this movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen that. Now I want to! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine losing a sibling. It would make me wonder if I could ever laugh again. But whar gifts both tears and laughter are. Youve made me want to see that silly movie i never heard of. Tim Allen actually looked kinda hot in that get_up. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan,
    And through it all and with a warm recollection of your beloved brother, your quest is to enjoy this year and hopefully look back on 2012 and declare, 'that beyond 'question', it was a good year.' :)
    And with tears of sadness and tears of laughter, right on "Q", I bid thee good day.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a very touching blog post. Yes, I have felt the line between tears and laughter to be so subtle.

    Celebrating your Quantum Leap that day and all quantum leaps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all have many difficult times in our lives, and some we never quite get over. If we are fortunate, we have people who will be there to comfort us, and get us through the rough times. It seems like your husband and his family knew just what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome post! I agree with most everything everyone has said here...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laughter and tears are at least kissing cousins if they are not siblings. I prefer the first, but tears are very useful in removing toxins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there. I'm visiting from the A to Z circuit.
    Laughter and tears - the perfect cathartic combination...
    Enjoy the rest of the challenge!

    http://writer-in-transit.co.za/quartet/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Galaxy Quest remains one of my favourite relax and laugh dvds.

    Nice to meet you :)

    New follower via A-Z.

    Amanda
    http://dramadiceanddamsons.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!