Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y is for...YELL


Arlee Bird has a blog site on which he discusses dreams and possible interpretations.  I dedicate this post to him.
“Y” is for Yell!

I taught school for twenty years as a second career.  One of my personal mandates was that I did not raise my voice.  I did not yell in the classroom, unless it was part of reading aloud and the character was yelling. 
Oh, I would yell on the playground.  “Get OFF that FENCE right NOW!”

This almost looked like me, so long ago....

I have this recurring dream in many variations.  With a herd of forty students, I am guiding them on a field trip through some hazardous place.  Why we would go to a minefield or an African savannah, I don’t know, but we are there and I am charged with keeping these students safe.
There are always a number of students who wander off the path that we must stay on or dire things will happen
When I see them at the back of the line, I cannot get to them in time.  So I must yell at them, “Stop right there...”

Only I can’t yell.  No matter how hard I try, I cannot yell.  Finally I manage it…and I wake myself up yelling. 

“You okay?” asks my husband.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my... I bet it's a relief to wake up and realize it was just a dream :-))

    Nice post, Susan.

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlee's going to have blast with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those recurring dreams! Was Samuel the ringleader at the end of the line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can remember most of my teachers keeping a very calm demeanor about them and rarely yelling. I've woken from dreams trying to call out for help or say something but not being able to. More than once I have startled my wife waking from one of these dreams. It can be very frightening. Not sure what these types of dreams mean. Maybe in your case it's the burden of responsibility and the fear of not being able to take care of it properly. After 20 years I'm sure this is ingrained in your mind and has become part of your life interpretation. My dreams are most often about traveling and being on the road with a show and I haven't done that for over 20 years now, but I did do it for a long time.

    Thanks for the mention.


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those dream 'squeaks' are so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, lordie, these are funny, especially the minefield dream. I am an adjunct prof at an art college, teaching lit, and I just finished the spring semester. I am SO looking forward to my time off, even though I really love the students and love teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you just want to protect everybody, but you fear you cannot shield them all.

    I have dreams like that sometimes also, where I am screaming for help, but no sound come out. Is it a fear of having no voice to be heard or fear of being left alone?

    Our fears that we don't admit to in life, often come out in our dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not many of mine every yelled in the classroom that I can recall. I got the stink eye a few times though..haha

    I might have been one of those off the path ones too. Glad it is just a dream so you could yell in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My recurring dream also has me badly wanting/needing to scream (to alert my family to the ravening wolf in the hall), but being completely unable to muster even a squeak. An exhausting, distressing dream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. have an interesting space, a great pleasure to read you.
    if you like the poetry I invite you to my space.
    happy day.
    a greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a scary dream! When I was a kid I was so impressed with one of my teachers that I wanted to be one myself. It did't work out that way.

    I hope that teaching continues to give you joy and sometimes pleasure.

    Mimi Torchia Boothby

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate recurring dreams, because (for me) they are rarely ever pleasant. Interesting, and fodder for a blog (of course), but stressful.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!