Saturday, April 13, 2013

K-L Post--Leon Kleinfelter, part 2

The Old Train Royalty Free Stock Photography - Image: 6417097
source


Leon Kleinfelter clutched the telegram as he waited at the train depot in Snake Junction, Kansas.  The paper had been read, folded, read again so many times that the print was now faded by sweat and oil.  But, Leon knew every word by heart and had pinned his hope on those words.

Mary Lannahan.  That was her name and she would be arriving today on the Noon train.  A mail-order bride, picked from a list of names and basic descriptions, was going to be here and they would be married. 

Leon knew only that she was twenty years old with red hair.  She was “a solid, dependable worker” and could cook.  Other than that, this mail-order bride was as a cloud, hard to describe and even harder to grasp.

The train’s whistle sounded and the billowing smoke signaled the train’s imminent arrival.  Leon’s throat grew dry as prairie grass, as he grasped the wilted bouquet of wild flowers he had picked nearby.  She’s here.

A blonde woman stepped onto the platform, clutching a paper that had been read, folded, and read so many times that it was faded.  Solid and dependable Katrina saw Leon and his flowers, standing in front of his wagon.  A lonely figure of a man, but Katrina saw the hope in his nervous smile and the beauty of the flowers.  She smiled.

“Leon?”  They both hesitated.  “I’m Katrina….Mary could not come…so I came in her stead…I hope…”

Leon gave her the flowers, tipped his hat.  “Katrina was my grandmother’s name….You are most welcome…”

Both smiling and shy, they walked to the church, where the preacher was waiting.

Bouquet Of Wild Flowers Stock Images - Image: 26134414
source

 All names, places, situations in this post are purely fictional, and bear no resemblance to any person, living or dead.

19 comments:

  1. A nice story about what they did before on-line dating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how those marriages worked out?

      Delete
  2. With the mail service back then, he had to be waiting quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered that, too. Hopefully, the telegraph would have given a time frame. Otherwise he would have had to meet the train whenever it was scheduled.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. What an adventure. I watched "Zandie's bride" with Gene Hackman and Liv Ulman a long time ago. It was, uh, kinda scary but interesting.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Inger, I love your blog posts so much! Today's post on L.A. was excellent.

      Delete
  5. I liked that-very sweet...
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww i can feel the loneliness lifting for both of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love happy endings. And endings which speak of hope and promise.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope, faith, promise--how can anyone live without that!

      Delete
  8. Talk about taking a leap of faith and the plunge all at once! Sweet story that made me smile. I felt as if I were there, looking on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suspect that the circumstances were not uncommon - and I do hope that this happy ending is a 'happy ever after one'. Thank you. Lots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't even imagine having lived in such a time when this was the norm! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely. The thought of mail order brides (and other types of arranged marriages) has always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Faith...Hope....Promise...Those are what could sustain such great leaps like mail-order brides at that time of history, or farming in the Prairie land.

    One can always hope that Leon and Katrina had a happy life, were surrounded by children and grandchildren. I like to think that is what would happen to them. Thanks for all comments. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have often wondered what it would have been like to be a mail-order bride. Frightening I should think, but also exciting. Love the story!
    tm

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!