Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A-B post: Part 2, Apostolic Barbarian


Still clutching the parchment, Gunter held up his battle scarred hands and gazed at them against the leafy oak and rowan trees.  How many battles had he fought?  How many had these hands slain?

Battles against worthy opponents differed from the slaughter of peasants fighting to protect their families.  Gunter had done both, willingly following the clan’s orders.  Vikings were trained from birth to be warriors who conquered, slayed, and returned home triumphant.

The parchment in his hands gleamed as sunlight glowed through it.  The colors of ink, the drawings done by a now-dead hand, and a silent message in the strange letters—all intrigued Gunter.  Why does this parchment seem more precious than any silver goblets from the church we destroyed?

Abruptly Gunter arose as he stripped off the bloodied armor and reverently tucked the parchment safely inside his linen tunic.  Leaving the sound and stench of the settlement behind him, Gunter strode off into the forest.  There had once been a monastery some distance inland, one the Vikings had sacked years ago.

The sword lay forgotten by the stream.

Maybe the answer will be there…

Gunter, the apostolic barbarian, now searched for answers.

28 comments:

  1. Going to be a monk, sure could leave his sword in a funk. Interesting to see what answers he finds too, as we stroll along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh, maybe some retribution coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read both parts. Great start. Stopping by from A-Z. Great to meet you. #391

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not one to believe that one can dramatically change who they are, but maybe Gunter, maybe Gunter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What will Gunter discover? Will he be welcomed?

    This is the stuff of a longer story after the A to Z is over. Sorry it cannot all be resolved just yet! Tomorrow...C-D, part 1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is so intriguing. Captured my attention right away...looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see a book here. I can't wait for tomorrow's segment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! So exciting - can't wait till tomorrow
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  9. this made me think of the old stained glass window i looked at in a salvage house yesterday----beautiful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting my blog :) Good luck with the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How suspenseful! What's on that darn parchment??! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool! He's off on other adventures, perhaps of a more spiritual kind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! I think ol' Gunter's about to have an epiphany...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm...wonder what on that parchment?

    ReplyDelete
  15. MJ, Inger, Laura: I have the 'story/book' sketched out, but don't want to have it eat up the A-Z blogs. After...

    Michelle, Lynn, Magnumlady: Best wishes on the A to Z blog. I am finding some wonderful sites.

    Bish, PK, Pearl, G.E., Jay: The parchment does hold answers.

    Sarah: Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great intriguing beginning. Gunter reminds me of my own Blake Adamson whose Mother's Bible holds meaning for him from the splatter of her own blood on the interrupted note she wrote him on its last page. Evocative and magnetic -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Your story captured my attention right away...I went back and read your A entry to get it in sequence. Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are the queen of building suspense Susan.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the places you are taking us. Megathanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Susan, these first two postings in the A-Z challenge remind me of a novel I read last week: "The Book of Killowen" by Erin Hart. She is one of my favorite mystery writers and this book, the fourth in her series, is about the discovery of a body in an Irish bog. A body that dates back to the 9th century. And also about an illuminated manuscript from that time. You might enjoy it. Peace to you and Gunther.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting concept. I like what you've done here. I don't know much about Vikings, but I always found them and that era rather interesting.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok, its really captured my attention now! Moving on!

    So far, Betty is taken in! The search for answers is a beginning that could lead to something greater!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!