Tuesday, April 9, 2013

G-H post: part 2-- Gift of Sacred Dog

Two Horses 2: Two horses in the snow.Please let me know if you are able to use my pictures for something.Even if it's something small --I would be absolutely thrilled to know if they came in useful for anyone!
From this source

How the horse came to the New World is fairly well documented.  Spanish and French explorers shipped them over early on in their conquest of the New World.  

Some horses either escaped or were left behind.  These horses became the mustangs, the wild horses that filled the plains and dominated history for the Native Americans.

But, questions niggles at my brain:  what did the indigenous tribes think about the horse?  Did they realize what the horse would give them?  Did they view the horse as an extension of the Spanish, as an animal to serve them, or what??

The book, Gift of the Sacred Dog, grants the reader a better answer about the horse.



The horse benefited the Native Americans, allowing them to survive and prosper.  At least for a while, anyway. 

This G-H dual post celebrates the beauty, nobility, and power of the horse, one of God’s creatures.

See you tomorrow on the I-J posts:  Icons of Just living...  

27 comments:

  1. i love the mustangs--so beautiful---wonderful wondering today--great questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned something today, and that is a good thing. I thought horses were always here and not imported.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever watched 'Hidalgo'? Not exactly a great movie, but it is a true story about a mustang and its owner. They compete in a grueling race in the Sahara.

      Delete
  3. One good thing they did bringing them over, as for the mention of the new world, instantly thought of that movie, one of the worst movie ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That movie was absolutely awful--and it had possibilities. Poor writing, poor directing.

      Delete
  4. Horses are such beautiful, majestic creatures. I love horse photography, especially shots of them running. Such an expression of freedom!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy the joy they must experience when running free.

      Delete
  5. This would be a fabulous book to get for my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few more I would recommend. Books by Byrd Baylor and Peter Parnell are about the desert and the Native American culture.

      Delete
  6. A Horse is a Horse, a horse, of course.
    Mr. Ed.... My all time favorite.... no not really. A boring show, but I liked the tune. I bet your little granddaughter would like that show and the tune. My kids used to love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger and Bea: Mr. Ed was a palomino, and at the time I thought he was the most beautiful horse ever.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Shawn and Sarah: Glad your enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  8. I love Gift of the Sacred Dog. It's a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students loved the book, as well.

      Delete
  9. This made me think of the Mr. Ed song, and then I saw Manzanita still knew the words too. I couldn't see the video, but the photo is beautiful.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what happened to the video...?

      Delete
  10. Just what does the arrival of these beasts from another land mean?

    Hello from the A-Z challenge. Are you going through the entire letter two letters at a time, in two-parters? That's a novel approach, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing quite like the experience of seeing a mustang running free!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to see wild horses someday. From a distance, of course.



    Sonia Lal

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are stunning creatures. My partner however believes them to be malevolent. He says that if you go to the scene of a single vehicle accident in the country you will always find a horse (or two) in the paddocks close by. His theory is that they leap out of the paddocks in front of the car - the driver swerves and has an accident and the horses jump back into their paddock and innocently crop grass. (Can you tell he is afraid of them?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Horses are wonderful creatures. One thing I wish is that I could learn how to ride. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for writing about this noble animal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this lovely post about the 'big dogs' of the American West. for a time I owned a beautiful Mustang - her name Cisco. She now lives with friends on a ranch in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!