Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I-J post: part 1--Icons of Just Living

Memorial Day Parade

The musty album lay open on Granny’s lap, as Lucy snuggled closely.  Who is that lady, Granny?  That man looks funny…why does he wear that hat… questions poured from Lucy as she examined the grainy gray and white photographs.

“Well, then…” Granny began explaining who these still figures were, what they were doing, and what wonderful human beings they had been.  Pillars of the community, hard-working mothers, and God-fearing leaders of the church…They worked hard, paid their bills, spoke quietly with authority, and died with dignity.


My Great-Grandmother
Granny spoke with a quiet pride about her ancestors. 

Lucy nodded as if she understood. 

My Great-Grandfather

Decades later, Lucy held the same album open on her lap, now possessing greater knowledge and understanding about these silent pillars.  Her grown daughter Ellen listened quietly, with an occasional smirk and laugh.

Icons of Just living.  Yes, some were.

Read tomorrow about the next generations and what was thought of them by their descendants!

25 comments:

  1. How nice to celebrate ancestors in this way! Just stopping by for the A-Z Challenge. Please check us out and sign up to follow if you like what you see. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are priceless. You gotta love that parade. Thanks for sharing your great-grandparents with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos tell so much. A capture of a still moment is precious.

      Delete
  3. Thank God we had strong hard working ancestors who won our places in this country (and yours) for us. I sometimes think they might be disappointed in us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they might be confused by us and somewhat disappointed. We went in all sorts of directions.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, each line is a story in itself.

      Delete
  5. It is amazing how in so few words you captured what it means to have children, to pass forward. While I don't mind that I never had children, I mind just this part of it. I am looking at "my things" here and wondering who would want them, the old photos, the 23 carat wedding rings, and the history. And there is no one.

    Not one to stay sad for long: My camera is just a small Canon Power Shot A570 IS, 7.1 mega pixels. When I was young, I had a Leica, with a light meter and all that stuff. Now I am a lazy camera operator, who basically just points and shoots, nature providing the wonders. I guess I have a good eye and notice light and shadows and the wonderful cloud formations here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info--I have a simple Sony Cyber Shot, and it does well. Just would like more!

      Delete
  6. love this post---sweet pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun looking back indeed, although yeah as kids we kind of just make fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baygirl32 and Lynn: The photos are such quiet reminders that life was/is always a struggle.

      Pat: Yes, I will talk about that one tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. So inpsiring to pass along love, respect, and honor of ancestors. They sounds like true heroes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some were heroes, some were scoundrels, but all passed down stories we can tell about them.

      Delete
  9. Great post. I find it interesting that our ancestors (from the same era) look similar. Do you suppose our progeny will think the same of us one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That question is one I will deal with tomorrow!

      Delete
  10. We couldn't have made it to where we are now without the steadfastness of generations before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "May the ones who came before us, find us faithful..." a line from a song rings through me now and then. I hope the legacy my generation leaves will be a strong one.

      Delete
  11. You make the past come to life with so much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photos of your great grandparents. It's so important to remember where we came from.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in awe at just how far you can trace your ancestry. And am so looking forward to tomorrow's related post. Your take on A to Z has been WONDERFUL. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!