Friday, April 26, 2013

Wednesday Words: The Mississippi River

Missouri River: The Missouri River.
Source: RWLinder

The meandering Mississippi River worried Jeff.  

No longer a gently flowing river, it rampaged and threatened his field.  It was hard enough to make a living in the Missouri bottom land.  Flooding water spreading across his cornfields made him think more and more about leaving.   

Mountains.  That’s where I need to go.  Take a trainride to the mountains…” Jeff muttered as he continued to fill sand bags and piled them on the levee.

Many thanks to Delores @ myfeatherednest  for these excellent words.  This time Delores selected the words from some of her favorite bloggers.  Please check them out at her site!

11 comments:

  1. Love the way you used the words. I visited the Mississippi when I visited Memphis - would love to visit other stretches of the river!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way folks take the words and put such different spins on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece. Poor Jeff, I'd want to head for the mountains too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan,

    And you take the words from Delores and bring us a thoughtful, timely posting.

    Thank you. A peaceful weekend to you and your loved ones.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect little story. I hope Jeff is only thinking of taking a train ride and returning. Try making a living in the mountains where it's all rock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful short story. Such peaceful scenery in the photo. Bet the view works wonders on the imagination.

    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least lifting all those bags he gets a good workout

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope to see the Mississippi River someday. It's such a landmark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember seeing the marks with dates and heights recorded along the walls inside a catfish fry-up restaurant along the Mississippi. Mountains sound good to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though water tuggs at my heart and mind always, I think (for the moment) he is right. I do love this piece of micro-fiction. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks to all who commented on this blog. Growing up near the Mississippi River, my family experienced many floods from creeks and steams. In 1993, I left the day before the levee broke near Quincy, IL, and the River washed away townships and farms.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!